Remington 700 Long Range New Load

Jud96

Some of you may know that I've had a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 Winchester for awhile now. Well I had been tinkering with 190 SMKs and my best group was right at .5 MOA and most were around .75 MOA. I wasn't very pleased with this and the MatchKings left a lot of copper in my barrel even after just a few shots. After doing a lot of load development with the 190s I ran out of time and I started focusing more on school.

Over Christmas break I did a little testing with 208gr A-MAXs but never shot any for group. Just wanted to see what the pressure signs were with some IMR 7828 loads. Well that all changed when I shot a 3 shot group with my .300 yesterday. I loaded 74.0grs of IMR 7828ssc into a Federal nickel plated case lit by a Remington LR Mag primer and topped with a 208gr A-MAX. Through testing I found 74.0gr gave good velocity but was not a hot hot load, it was just right. My primers aren't cratered or completely crushed flat and there's no ejector marks or rough bolt lift. I shot a couple shots at 700yds at some steel and I dialed for 2900fps but shot about 6" high. I haven't chronographed this load yet but by adjusting velocities on my ballistics app, I am in the ballpark of 2950-3000fps and I am beyond pleased with that. But what I am even more happy about is how well this load and rifle did at 100yds. Below is the picture of my 3 shot group at 100 yards. This beyond exceeded my expectations for the rifle and I am glad it's under .5 MOA now and from the looks of it, it will be a consistent sub-half MOA rifle. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 200gr ELD-X bullets will do this well!

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 84
I run the 208 Amax at 2950 fps in my 300 Weatherby. I don't need to push it harder, it offers very good ballistics at that velocity. I get very good brass life, and that is my reason for not pushing it harder. 78 grains of 7828 is where I'm at with the Weatherby...

I run the 208 Amax at 2950 fps in my 300 Weatherby. I don't need to push it harder, it offers very good ballistics at that velocity. I get very good brass life, and that is my reason for not pushing it harder. 78 grains of 7828 is where I'm at with the Weatherby...

I wasn't expecting what I got as far as velocity, but this load is at the book max, but I could go up a grain before I run into pressure. I am pleased with this and with the new 200gr ELD-X bullets I should gain an additional 50fps with the same powder charge, just have to see how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.