Remington 700 Long Range 300 RUM

Your right you can take that bullet and go a lot faster but if you notice on my post the load is only for 100yds - 200yds and I'm only using 82.6gr of powder any more than that to me would be overkill and a waste of powder at that Range.

The Load I have for Long Range is :

200gr. ELD-X
93.6gr - Retumbo
3,150fps.
But still, why use 300WM velocities, in a 300 RUM, when you could just use a 300WM and it's more economical in every way a 300RUM isn't?!

When I bought the 'Remington 700 M40 Long Range' chambered for 300 Remington Ultra Magnum my whole purpose was to be able to have the ability to load it for most .30 Caliber loads and it serves that purpose for me. When Remington came out with this Cartridge they also came out with the Reduced Recoil Ammunition for it, for that exact reason.

When I bought the 'Remington 700 M40 Long Range' chambered for 300 Remington Ultra Magnum my whole purpose was to be able to have the ability to load it for most .30 Caliber loads and it serves that purpose for me. When Remington came out with this Cartridge they also came out with the Reduced Recoil Ammunition for it, for that exact reason.
AHHHHHH, OH YEAH, that stuff?!

Your right you can take that bullet and go a lot faster but if you notice on my post the load is only for 100yds - 200yds and I'm only using 82.6gr of powder any more than that to me would be overkill and a waste of powder at that Range.

The Load I have for Long Range is :

200gr. ELD-X
93.6gr - Retumbo
3,150fps.[/QUO

Sounds good. I am loading 210 Berger with 90 gr retumbo 3065 fps. And seeing 1/2 MOA. However, once I have a pet load I stick with it. And my application is for hunting and my distance can be 100-7 or 800 yds. Same load for hunting and target

For me, I shoot the same load in my RUM no matter what. I have no idea what range I'll encounter game. If I only needed a 200 yard rifle, I wouldn't pick a RUM. To each his own. mtmuley

I should have mentioned that my
300 RUM Loads are for Benchrest
Target Range Shooting at 100 - 500yds
And Medium to Long Range at 500yds +
IMG_20181023_144702839.jpg

Last edited:
500 yds plus, what's your plus yardage? 300RUM is good with just the magnum primer at 500 yards......I kid........relax?! But seriously, at 500 yards, it's isn't breathing hard, but it is kicking hard no matter what yardage and you aren't braked. My 300RUM LRP (I shot my stainless in it's original condition very shortly) at 15.5 lbs with heavy prone adjustable aftermarket stock, would let your shoulder know it, after a range session, before I installed a brake. With a brake, it's more manageable, but FUN when I touch off 94grs of Retumbo and a 208 ELDM and the brake speaks :D

500 yds plus, what's your plus yardage? 300RUM is good with just the magnum primer at 500 yards......I kid........relax?! But seriously, at 500 yards, it's isn't breathing hard, but it is kicking hard no matter what yardage and you aren't braked. My 300RUM LRP (I shot my stainless in it's original condition very shortly) at 15.5 lbs with heavy prone adjustable aftermarket stock, would let your shoulder know it, after a range session, before I installed a brake. With a brake, it's more manageable, but FUN when I touch off 94grs of Retumbo and a 208 ELDM and the brake speaks :D
Last week the range police came and asked if I was shooting a 50 cal.( they're not allowed).

What's your fps with that load? Must be pretty warm load. I'm only using 89 retumbo 210 vld, at 3050fps. Rem sps with break. accurate usually 1/2 MOA out to 700yds

I bought one and had my smith look at it. He doesn't have high regard for factory barrels, but said shoot it and see what It does. I had him polish the rough factory chamber and add a muzzle brake. The thing shot 1/3 MOA @300 yds. with Berger 215's, 89.6 grains H1000 2950 fps. this was the most accurate load I found right out of the gate. Chased speed with different powders and bullets until I used up the best barrel life. A buddy bought one at the same time and had similar results with custom "factory" ammo. Others have had similar results and some have not.
-Mike

That's dam good. I have a rem 300 RUM SPS which I have tuned to 1/2 MOA and was feeling pretty good about that. 89 retumbo 210 vld. I can get a little more velocity if I want but am happy there

What's your fps with that load? Must be pretty warm load. I'm only using 89 retumbo 210 vld, at 3050fps. Rem sps with break. accurate usually 1/2 MOA out to 700yds
Actually it isn't. I ran 89-89.5 Retumbo for a while in the beginning, a nice mild velocity, but the SD/ES started getting larger. Moved up in .5 grain increments, up to 95.5grs, still no heavy bolt lift. The 94.0 gr load, with Norma case, CCI-250, 208 ELDM, OAL 3.692, was the best, with a 9 SD, 22 ES. The Norma is holding up well as can be expected after 4 firings. I also use a coveted stash of original Rem brass.

Attachments

• 300RUM 208ELDM Retumbo - Sheet1.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 240