Long range 300 RUM question?

wyobmf

Hello,
I have a remington model 700 300 ultra mag.
I want to hunt elk out to 750 yards, I have a VX-3
8.5x25x50. I shoot 165 grn XLC's
I have a couple questions:
Should I put a carbon fiber jacketed 30" barrle on it?
If so who would you recomend for that mod?
Will that scope work for shots under 50 yards?
What would you recomend for bullet weight?
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The scope would certainly work, you would want it on the 8.5 setting for the close shots, just for easier targeting. Would be kind of tough to locate a target quickly at 50 yards with it jacked up to 25x, then the sight picture would be one big patch of fur! Depending on your zero, if it was at 100yds, your impact at 50 yds would be a hair low. A negligable amount though

Thanks for the info,
Would I gain much out of a 30" barrel or should I spend my money elsewhere?
Thanks

Anyone who knows better, correct me if I'm wrong, I think over 28" the law of diminishing returns would come into play. You would certainly gain some velocity but you have to consider the extra length and weight, because I assume you will be carrying this rifle into the field. I think for a hunting rifle most would recommend 28"

I will be hunting with a 30" barrel this year and even though it adds wieght I want the added velocity and possible accuracy. As far as bullets for the 300 rum, don't be like me and waste your time on the light bullets, it is pointless and you don't utilize the sheer power of this cartridge. I would recomend Richard Graves Wildcat 190 RBBT ULD. You could even go heavier in to his 200-220 wieght bullets and it would work great. If you rebarreld the gun I would get it done in a 1-9 twist and try richards 240 grain bullets for some ultra long range powerhouses. As far as standard bullet makers I would tell you to go with the Nosler accubond 200 gr for elk and for lighter game us the 200 gr ballistic tip because I think they have the same BC. Unless you like recoil I wouldn't get a carbon fiber wrapped barrel simply because these guns can kick the snot out of you.
Just my opinions and they ain't worth much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve Elmenhorst

Wyobmf

You gain about 20-25 fps per inch out past 26" If you go to say 34 inches and get 200 fps on the high BC bullets you get a lot of it still with you way on down range. Dan Lilja's web site contains his experiments on cutting off an inch at a time from something like 40+ down to something like 24, I do not remember exactly but the data is there. Check it out for yourself This is large capacity cases with slow burning powders pushing heavy bullets.

Of course this is no longer a brush gun unless you plan on using it as a club - whack whack whack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Its Friday and a three day weekend

I have a 300 RUM with a 28" Shilen barrel. I currently have 2 loads with a 200 Nos. Accubond that work really well. I use Retumbo and Re25.

Using A wildcat 210 bullet and around 105.0 gr of WC872 powder I have been able to get over 3100fps without major pressure signs. This equates to one hard hitting bullet and I am planning on using something very similar to it to drop a moose in about 2 months.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of groups do you get with those loads? How hot are you loading them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, 89.0 and 90.0 grains of Re25 both produced 1/2" groups at 150 yards with 4 rounds each. The 89.0 grain group made a perfect square, first ever. The Retumbo was maxed at 85.5 grains and was a slight spread to 3/4" at 150, but bear in mind, I'm confident that I'm not half the shooter that most of you guys are. But, I try.

I am using the 200g Nosler Accubond in a Rem 700 LSS. I use 92g of H-1000, Fed 215, OAL= 3.640" Accuracy is around .5" at 100 yards and I shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards. Velocity is 3104fps. I shot a 5x5 last year at 512 yards with this load. 1st shot hit behind shoulder, he walked up the hill a little and stopped, I shot the 2nd time and missed, then he walked back down to where I first hit him, and thats when the 3rd shot put him down for good. Turns out the 3rd bullet was put directly in the front shoulder. So with a bullet in the front shoulder and one behind the front shoulder, there was a big mess. Not very much usable meat from the front half. It did however do the job very nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.