Remington 700 long range vs sendaro

For what its worth,I have had similar questions about the Sendero and similar rifles and MudRunner has chimed in and helped me. I just need to order one now in 300 win mag.
In .300WM it's going to be hard for me to recommend either rifle listed here, over the 5R Milspec rifles, and this is coming from a guy who owns quite a few Senderos. Those factory Rem 5R barrels just plain shoot, love mine (currently have 2).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_36_57_981/products_id/42393/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

Is the 5R milspec the model ?
Yes, it is called the 700 5R Milspec. They now have a GenII model, but it does not have a 26" barrel, and personally, for magnum cartridges, I won't own less than 26" barrel. The GenII has a black cerakote finish, fluted barrel, and 24" threaded barrel. There are advantages to the GenII model (mainly threaded, fluting of the barrel), but the 24" barrel sort of kills it, IMO. If they had done a 26" threaded and fluted barrel, it would have been better...But that's also a personal opinion.

With any Factory Rifle/ Barrel it is a gamble. My family bought me a Sendero 300 WM for my 50th Birthday two year ago. I was excited nicest gun I had ever had. Went down hill fast. Reciever threads were messed up from the factory and had to be re tapped. The Gun never would shoot consistant groups with many different loads tried/ reloaded for etc. After a 1 1/2 years of frustration 200+ rounds down barrel, different scopes tried, bases rings redone multiple times, Action bedded, The barrel was borescoped by a well known gun builder and confirmed that I have a bad Barrel.
We would have been money ahead by having a full custom built from the start. I guess I am one of the unlucky ones, Senderos have a good reputation as being shooters. Lesson learned for me.
On the other hand I have friends that have got the 700 Long range guns and they have flat out been shooters for them.

Last edited:
A factory gun is always a gamble. I always recommend that when you buy one be prepared for the worst and be prepared to rebarrel it if it's not up to par with your needs or wants. My sendero is very picky but does shoot certain loads very well. Nuttenfancy does a review on the long range and it's in the video why rem 700 suck lol. Then again the groups he's shooting here are about on par for most of the groups out of my sendero and if he did load development and tried different bullets powders I bet he would have found one that was consistent. Some rifles are pickier then others.

@Joefrazell im not discounting your personal experience with your sendero and I agree with everything you said, up until the nuttenfancy part. he has been known to go into reveiws with biases. I've seen him have poor fundamentals in his video and then blame the rifle for poor accuracy. Also, he rambles a lot in his videos which might give the viewer some insight into his thought processes.

With that being said, 8541 Tactical, which is an excellent channel, did a review on the long range and realized the crown had a chip in it. It was a 2 ~ 2.5 MOA shooter before He cut it back 1.5 inches, threaded it for a brake, and then he was getting sub MOA accuracy. Again, not discrediting you at all with your experience, and it's backed up with 8541 tactical review, but nuttenfancy has a lot of work to do for his videos to gain legitimacy.

Iraqveteran8888, 8541 tactical, tiborasarousRex, and 6.5 guys are all great channels. Iraqveteran8888 is a fun channel. 8541 tactical is a no BS, straight shooter review channel. Rex is a long winded and about the detailed science channel. And 6.5 guys are these awkward old dudes who want to help you win competitions. Lol

I like to watch IV8888, MAC, Sootch00, Forgotten Weapons, MrGunsnGear, and a couple others. But other than that, I don't really listen to any opinions the other folks say, other than their info about what's new on the market and what's getting released after SHOT Show. The rest of the "gun guys" all seem bias, or just plain amateur. I also can't stand nuttenfancy, Dickock45 (who supported the bumpstock ban), and that ignorant whiney douchebag yankeemarshall, whom I wish someone would punch in the mouth...

Also, as for factory barrels, most are correct, but the 5R Milspec barrels are NOT typical Remington barrels. They are made to the same specs as, and by the same people who make the M24 and M40 sniper rifle barrels for Remington. The odds of getting one that won't shoot, are significantly lower than standard factory barrels, because you are not getting a "factory" barrel on them. They are as high a quality as Bartlein, Brux, etc...

I bought a sendero 7mm, I sold it and bought a 7mm long range. They both shot well my issue was the stock, The stock on the sendero was very wide compared to any other rifle stock I owned, it did not fit well in my hand it was an irritation that I could get past. It might not be an issue for you at all, also they both shot the same, the sendero did not shoot 500$ better.

Last edited:
The stock on a sendero is a hs presicion stock and the long range is a b&c. Alot of of people don't like the palm swell on that particular hs stock. I like it personally. I looked at both guns hard and went with the sendero because the finish was so much nicer. I was going to get the long range In stainless as they were on sale because they were discontinued. The finish on the long range stainless isn't near as nice as a sendero both action and barrel. I only care because once you rebarrel it and have a nice finished barrel it won't match the action as its more of a matte finish. I agree that one probably isn't going to shoot better then another. The 5r just needs to be offered in a 26" barrel. Either way your getting alot for tour money in my opinion. Mine shoots .3-.6 moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards with its favorite load. Getting ready to try some 215 bergers and hoping they shoot as well. Just built a concentricity gauge and am really trying to fine tune my load development process to get the absolute best accuracy possible. Found my rcbs dies are producing around .006-.008 runout.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.