Budget 300WM, Savage FCP-HS vs Remington 700 Long Range

Both companies make fine rifles to do the jobs.

Savages are accurate but have always felt clunky to me.. and I have 5 of them. I'm a DIY guy most times, so I liked the idea of the spin off barrel feature. But honestly, I do it so rarely (or never on most) that it's not a major part of a decision anymore. My biggest gripe of Savages is that they change things on them every few years which has added to component confusion and support issues in my opinion. A few different receiver designs, different bolt release designs, different magazine designs from gun to gun.. it's just too much sometimes.

If you are going to build it up slowly over time and change things from stock, I'd go Remy, and I did this time.

If you just want a good shooting stick out of the box, and have no intentions of doing changes (I'm going this route next time) then look at Tikka. You can modify these, but I think they are the slickest out of the box gun going at a fantastic value. Great trigger, best plastic stock, light mags (that have come down in price) and light weight.

Best of luck!

I own both of these rifles and just last week got done working with my Remington 700. My Savage has been and still is a great shooter. I bedded the recoil lug and adjusted the trigger a little to get it to a nice 2.5#, I then worked up a load with H1000, FED 215M primers, and Berger 215 seated 0.025" off the lands. I can take this rifle out to 1200 and print a 4" group every time for four shots. (WHEN I DO MY PART). So lets get to my Remington. I purchased this for little as I had saved a lot of gift cards I received which made it cheaper on my pocket. Two weeks ago I started to get everything ready to perform my load work up. I did the routine barrel break in which some do, some don't I figured what the He!! I'll try it. After getting that laborious job done and getting it somewhat zeroed in I started with my load development. I settled in at 76.5 gr of H1000 215M Federal Primers and Bergers 215gr at 0.015 off the lands. My Magneto was showing a velocity 2850 fps, ES of 9 and SD of 6 (WOW). So I loaded a few and headed out to our long range place, setup my 42"X42" ar 500 plate at 1020 yards and sent a few rounds down range. To My SUPRISE my Wingmaster shotgun patterned better than the groups from my 300 WM. So I went home and started checking everything which led to no issues found. I then dropped it off at a retired smith who lives not far from me. He brought my rifle back a few days later and told me the issues I had were tight spots in the barrel and a rather poor rifling job. The tight spot was checked with gauge pins and the tight spot was 0.003 smaller than the rest of the barrel and it was about 3" in length. So now it sits in my safe needing a barrel. I'm not going to say every rifle will turn out like mine but it's the third remmy I have had with issues. I would advise you to look over any of the ones mentioned to prevent headaches down the road. Sorry for the long post and good luck in your purchase

I own both of these rifles and just last week got done working with my Remington 700. My Savage has been and still is a great shooter. I bedded the recoil lug and adjusted the trigger a little to get it to a nice 2.5#, I then worked up a load with H1000, FED 215M primers, and Berger 215 seated 0.025" off the lands. I can take this rifle out to 1200 and print a 4" group every time for four shots. (WHEN I DO MY PART). So lets get to my Remington. I purchased this for little as I had saved a lot of gift cards I received which made it cheaper on my pocket. Two weeks ago I started to get everything ready to perform my load work up. I did the routine barrel break in which some do, some don't I figured what the He!! I'll try it. After getting that laborious job done and getting it somewhat zeroed in I started with my load development. I settled in at 76.5 gr of H1000 215M Federal Primers and Bergers 215gr at 0.015 off the lands. My Magneto was showing a velocity 2850 fps, ES of 9 and SD of 6 (WOW). So I loaded a few and headed out to our long range place, setup my 42"X42" ar 500 plate at 1020 yards and sent a few rounds down range. To My SUPRISE my Wingmaster shotgun patterned better than the groups from my 300 WM. So I went home and started checking everything which led to no issues found. I then dropped it off at a retired smith who lives not far from me. He brought my rifle back a few days later and told me the issues I had were tight spots in the barrel and a rather poor rifling job. The tight spot was checked with gauge pins and the tight spot was 0.003 smaller than the rest of the barrel and it was about 3" in length. So now it sits in my safe needing a barrel. I'm not going to say every rifle will turn out like mine but it's the third remmy I have had with issues. I would advise you to look over any of the ones mentioned to prevent headaches down the road. Sorry for the long post and good luck in your purchase

W:DW!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 50
No more rems for me I have seen 3 in the last 8 months that would not shoot a 1.5" group @100 no matter what I did. One of them we changed everything on it the guy just kept dumping money in it n it never got any better. The same guy just found a used Stevens savage 110 for 200.00 n it shoot 3/4 all day with cheap rem core locs. I don't know what's going on with rem but I'm not to happy with what I have seen.

Appreciate the feedback fellas, I went the savage route for my factory 300WM woods gun. Will be working up a load using Accubonds 200 grains and 230 Berger Hybrids. Will post pics when shes all done. :cool:

So the rifle is being shipped to my FFL and it will go through a DROS process which involves a background check and all that jive mumbo jumbo.
But for the mean time I have bought the goodies that will be going on it. Vortex PST Scope, 20 MOA egw rail, vortex precision match rings,and a Badger FTE brake. But since the rifle isn't here yet I dont have the barrel measurements. Can someone with a Savage FCP-HS 300 win mag please measure the barrel diameter on the muzzle end for me. Thanks in advance, I have searched all over the net but no luck.

.850" IIRC. Both my .338 Lapua and .300 wm 110 FCP-HSPs were right around that. Here's some inspiration as it was almost identical to your's:

It's not letting me respond to your PM so I'll just post it here...

Recoil wasn't horrible without the brake as the rifle is heavy enough to make it manageable. Your shoulder will definitely let you know that you're shooting a mag after a day at the range though.

I only have experience with the APA FB, which was very good, so I'm sure that the LB will be similar. Mine was a DE, and while it certainly reduced recoil, I didn't think it was all that everyone hyped it up to be.

Good luck.

It's not letting me respond to your PM so I'll just post it here...

Recoil wasn't horrible without the brake as the rifle is heavy enough to make it manageable. Your shoulder will definitely let you know that you're shooting a mag after a day at the range though.

I only have experience with the APA FB, which was very good, so I'm sure that the LB will be similar. Mine was a DE, and while it certainly reduced recoil, I didn't think it was all that everyone hyped it up to be.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback just browsing. I guess I'll find out how the Gen II Little B* is all about soon.

I'd go with the 700 LR. You can get for less than $700, it has more options than the Savage for after market support, and IMO, it is easier to find someone to work on them.

I got my stainless 700 LR in 300wm for 699$ at Sportsmans warehouse. It's really nice in person and the b&c stock is a plus.

What's up folks, it's been a while but finally got the rifle and loads working together. The grouping up top are with 230 Berger Hybrid targets, 71 grain of RL26 2732fps Bottom: 200 grain Accubond 72 grain of RL26 2862. Over all pretty glad I went with the Savage as a budget boom stick.

Attachments

• IMAG4369-1-1-1.jpg
    IMAG4369-1-1-1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG4400.jpg
    IMAG4400.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG4401.jpg
    IMAG4401.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.