700 Police vs. Sendero vs. Long Range

mmh

I am thinking about picking up a Remington 700 in 300 WinMag. The Long Range (84164) is the cheapest. What does the Police (27718) or Sendero (27313) offer over the Long Range? The Sendero is stainless, but is there really a benefit to a stainless rifle. Looking to do some long range shooting & hunting with this gun. I intend on shooting 215 & 230 grain bullets so a 1 in 10 twist is a must. Pretty sure that the long range has this. Not sure about the other two.

I am thinking about picking up a Remington 700 in 300 WinMag. The Long Range (84164) is the cheapest. What does the Police (27718) or Sendero (27313) offer over the Long Range? The Sendero is stainless, but is there really a benefit to a stainless rifle. Looking to do some long range shooting & hunting with this gun. I intend on shooting 215 & 230 grain bullets so a 1 in 10 twist is a must. Pretty sure that the long range has this. Not sure about the other two.

The only differences are:

LR vs. Police - The Police model has an HS Precision stock, which is a higher priced stock than the B&C Medalist that comes on the Long Range model.

LR vs. Sendero - Sendero is stainless w/ a jeweled bolt ($100 more for SS models), fluted barrel, and HS Precision stock.

Other than that, there is not much difference.

I have a 700P and a Sendero. Pretty much identical except the jeweled bolt on Sendero like Mudrunner said and the flutes on Sendero. Whatever you get put a Timney in it and should be good to go

MMH- i can not tell where you are or what you are shooting at. the long range comes in stainless too. i have seen them at sportsmanswarehouse. it is 100$ more than the blued version. the long range is heavier than a sendero, because of the flutes in the barrel and the stock is a little heavier. i have a sendero but not a long range. the stock of the long range fits me better.

I have a 300 win in the long range. $700
I bedded the action - Free cuz I did it
Put a real trigger in it (Jewel) - $225
Put a NF 20 MOA rail on it - $120
NF rings - $160
Vortex 6-24 HST - $625
Vortex Level - $35
$1865 for the complete rig. and it shoots almost as good as some of the customs that I have. I really built if for a "beater truck gun" and wanted to see what a budget build could would look and shoot like and I was VERY impressed.
Shooting Hornaday brass, with RL 23 and the 210 hunting berger. and it's a solid 3/8" group at 100 yards, and stayed sub MOA at 1000.

I've got the 300WM in the LR and the Sendero. The LR has a very tight chamber. I've got a service request in with Remington for a chamber polishing. Guy at the local gun store says this is an issue on a number of the 700 LR's in 300 WM. Chamber polishing should solve the issue.

Both guns are sub MOA @ 100 yards. With the difference in price, I'd get the LR with a polished chamber.

I've got the 700 P in .308. It is a one hole gun with match ammo.

how can we tell if the chamber needs polishing? how can i also tell if the chamber is tight? i just bought a long range in 300 win mag but haven't shot it yet. I hope its not a lemon.

They are not lemons. :)

I had to use a rubber mallet on the bolt to be able to extract the used brass. One should be able to cycle brass without using a hammer.

Basically, the gun shop will use a fancy "brillo pad" on the inside of the chamber to increase the size a small amount. Brass will expand after being fired, and if the chamber is too small, it can be a pain in the butt to extract used brass. The shop I took mine to said that it won't take more than 20 minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.