Rem 700 receiver dirty

I just noticed you are located in Namibia. I wonder if there are any other LRH members from there?

I haven't been to Namibia but think the name sounds neat.

Good luck with the rifle.

So I'm excited I finally got my first rifle yesterday a rem 700 223.last last night when I was throughly look through the gun I found the reviecer had some white - brown film near the end probably on the back of the barrel. I don't know if this is normal or how I should go about cleaning it there also seems to be light rust spots on barrel where the stock just starts covering it. I cycled ons piece of unprimed virgin brass out of curiosity and some left large scratches on the caseView attachment 200238View attachment 200239View attachment 200240

Update cleaned of some of the rust but still have to clean receiver. I figured out that it was in fact the feed lips that are gauging the cases but i dont know if there is really fix for that. Sending the rifle back to remington is not really an option because if heard of people in my country who waited up to a year or 2 to get theirs back because of our slow customs.
[/QUOTE
No need to send it back. I just dealt with the exact same problem in a Christensen Arms. Get some 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper, cut it in strips and use your fingers to work it across any sharp edges. Didn't take much to clean mine up.

If u have access to a product called Kroil (liquid), it works well on loosening up crude and rust. JE mentioned a copper Brillo pad, a good recommendation. I've found copper or brass wool material, I use it with Kroil And have had nice success. Best of luck, but follow all the good advice shared to this point.
I'll check iy out and look for it

If you have a mild solvent bore cleaner like Hoppes Benchrest 9, it is safe to cap the muzzle with some nitrile glove fingers and a tight rubber band, put the muzzle on a folded towel on the floor, clamp the stock to a bench or table and fill her up to the breach. Let it soak at least over night then drain and brush, mop, etc.

If you have a mild solvent bore cleaner like Hoppes Benchrest 9, it is safe to cap the muzzle with some nitrile glove fingers and a tight rubber band, put the muzzle on a folded towel on the floor, clamp the stock to a bench or table and fill her up to the breach. Let it soak at least over night then drain and brush, mop, etc.
Thanks I might try it, that a lot of solvent though😂

Thanks I might try it, that a lot of solvent though😂

You'd be surprised how little solvent it takes to fill a .22 cal bore. If rubber gloves are scarce you can plug it with a foam ear plug too. It probably won't need the full-on bore-filled douching, a good solid cleaning would probably get her done.

Every 'new' to you firearm should be thoroughly cleaned before you take it out for your first range session, period. Soaking a plugged bore with solvent is inviting problems. Just clean it with a good bore cleaner and give it a light coating of oil before storing. Run a couple of dry patches to dry the bore of oil before shooting it. The chamber and bore need to be clean and dry before chambering a round and firing it.

For what it's worth, if the copper Brillo pad isn't easily available I have used the edge of pure copper coins to remove rust from blued steel. Soak in a penetrating type oil first. Then gently scrape with the edge of the coin. IF there are pits, which I doubt in this case, the bluing is already gone under the rust and the steel will be white/bare there once the rust is gone. Light surface rust usually comes off w/o removing the bluing.

Not sure what penetrating oil is going to be available to you in Nambia. Automatic Trans Fluid (ATF), mixed 50%-50% with acetone may work for you if there's nothing else available. If you have a selection the Kroil mentioned is good. So is "PB Blaster". Even "Marvel Mystery Oil" will work for this (some claim that this oil is pretty close to being 50-50 ATF & acetone).

I have seen seen, brand new, in the box rifles, just like yours that needed to be thoroughly cleaned, before shooting, due to metal chips and production oils still in the action, and inside the barrel.
As always, new or used, a thorough cleaning is in order after a purchase. Partly due to QC, on the new on at least. And some makers purposely leave a protectant on the metal work, which is a dust and dirt attractant anyway. Give it nice bath, oil it down good. Good luck !
Pretty much says it all.

For what it's worth, if the copper Brillo pad isn't easily available I have used the edge of pure copper coins to remove rust from blued steel. Soak in a penetrating type oil first. Then gently scrape with the edge of the coin. IF there are pits, which I doubt in this case, the bluing is already gone under the rust and the steel will be white/bare there once the rust is gone. Light surface rust usually comes off w/o removing the bluing.

Not sure what penetrating oil is going to be available to you in Nambia. Automatic Trans Fluid (ATF), mixed 50%-50% with acetone may work for you if there's nothing else available. If you have a selection the Kroil mentioned is good. So is "PB Blaster". Even "Marvel Mystery Oil" will work for this (some claim that this oil is pretty close to being 50-50 ATF & acetone).
Very useful thanks for the info

So I'm excited I finally got my first rifle yesterday a rem 700 223.last last night when I was throughly look through the gun I found the reviecer had some white - brown film near the end probably on the back of the barrel. I don't know if this is normal or how I should go about cleaning it there also seems to be light rust spots on barrel where the stock just starts covering it. I cycled ons piece of unprimed virgin brass out of curiosity and some left large scratches on the caseView attachment 200238View attachment 200239View attachment 200240

Update cleaned of some of the rust but still have to clean receiver. I figured out that it was in fact the feed lips that are gauging the cases but i dont know if there is really fix for that. Sending the rifle back to remington is not really an option because if heard of people in my country who waited up to a year or 2 to get theirs back because of our slow customs.
Easiest way I have found to clean the chamber is to hose it out with Bore Scrubber. I had a 790 and couldn't close the bolt. Used the Bore Scrubber and solved the problem. Probably had a small purse of brass or othe debris in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.