Base canted on receiver?

NewbieLRH

Recently got a used Sendero SFll with a 20moa badger base. How do I confirm that the base is true to the receiver? I'm mounting my optic with the deck of cards method plus a level on the turret. When I line the reticle up vertically with some confirmed level lines it's just not quite right?
Thanks in advance.

If the bottom of the your scope has a flat spot I slip a metal ruler or something that I know to be parallel on both edges in between the picatinny rail and bottom of the scope and twist it until it's resting against both and look and see if the scope is resting flat on the ruler all the way across. Feeler gauges the thicker ones work for this also depends on how much room between them there is.

Yes the bottom of the optic is flat. It's a Vortex HS. I used the deck of cards as my feeler gauge between the rail and optic. When the cards start to get tight, and I look at my plumb or my wall corner it's canted quite a bit. Same thing with using a level on the turret. Just for ***** I tightened it down just a bit. On a verified level surface I folded out my bench rest bipod, and had to put roughly three quarters of the deck under the one leg to get the reticle aligned with the plumb.

I pull the bolt and insert a straight square metal bar in the raceway I put a level on the bar and level it (It is really nothing more than a easy and repeatable reference point. I don't worry too much about leveling the rail, unless it is obviously way off to the naked eye. I then install the scope and align the crosshair with a plum line about 30 yards away. Tighten things down and conform. While the crosshairs are aligned with the plum line, I install a scope level. Next it to the range for sight in and a tall target test to verify tracking. Seems to work for me.

Now I have another debacle. Vortex lists my optic as 50moa vertical and horizontal adjustment. Counting my clicks I have 57 horizontal, and 56 vertical ***? Is this a big deal? Can I count on my clicks being true?

Last edited:
Are you positive that you started from the center? There are probably 100 clicks from end to end, so to speak. I've never actually counted them end to end on my Vortex, that I remember anyway....

Does not mean that you cannot trust your clicks anyway. Lots of scopes, even Nightforce, might not dial perfectly 1 MOA in 4 clicks. You have to test and verify and adjust your dope to what the scope actually dials. See Bryan Litz's tall target test vid below. It will explain how to test and verify.

Like Feenix says, "Youtube Rocks".

[ame]https://youtu.be/12Wf0Cuwwi8[/ame]

I turned the turret all the way in and counted as I turned out. I did this a few times to verify I was correct. It is kinda weird being that it's a 30mm tube that it would only have 50moa adjustment, but that's the specs on Vortex website. Well in my case a bit more than 50?? Thanks for posting that video for me btw, super informative! Just gotta get some rounds down range now and find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.