Rem 700 receiver dirty

Namibguy

So I'm excited I finally got my first rifle yesterday a rem 700 223.last last night when I was throughly look through the gun I found the reviecer had some white - brown film near the end probably on the back of the barrel. I don't know if this is normal or how I should go about cleaning it there also seems to be light rust spots on barrel where the stock just starts covering it. I cycled ons piece of unprimed virgin brass out of curiosity and some left large scratches on the case
IMG_20200624_064608_BURST001_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200624_064300.jpg
IMG_20200624_064849.jpg

Update cleaned of some of the rust but still have to clean receiver. I figured out that it was in fact the feed lips that are gauging the cases but i dont know if there is really fix for that. Sending the rifle back to remington is not really an option because if heard of people in my country who waited up to a year or 2 to get theirs back because of our slow customs.

Last edited:
Pop the stock off and have a look at the state of the barreled action. Clean it up and throw some oil on it to protect it further. Looks like you've got some debris in the chamber judging by the scratches. Easiest way I've found to clean the chamber is an over-sized brush with patches wrapped around it. As far as the lug recesses I use the AR-style bore mops and run them in there and spin them. I would also highly recommend throwing a full clean on the barrel as well.

Did the brass chamber/extract easy?

Pop the stock off and have a look at the state of the barreled action. Clean it up and throw some oil on it to protect it further. Looks like you've got some debris in the chamber judging by the scratches. Easiest way I've found to clean the chamber is an over-sized brush with patches wrapped around it. As far as the lug recesses I use the AR-style bore mops and run them in there and spin them. I would also highly recommend throwing a full clean on the barrel as well.

Did the brass chamber/extract easy?
Thanks for the info will do a full clean. It didn't close to easy but I dont have a real reference point as to what is a good amount of force

that scratch looks normal to me-- when you pull back on the bolt to eject the round, the ejector pushes the cartridge to the right as the rim is held under the extractor --- this causes the cartridge to ride the right side of the bolt/action and scratch the case (This is especially evident in AR style rifles due to the multi lug bolt/barrel extension)--- you sometimes will also see scratches from magazine feed lips, feed ramps, etc

But as for your question about cleaning-- I always clean new rifles as best as possible as there is usually still machining oil residue and even rust preventative on the rifle and in the bore --its a good idea (if you think you see rust) to take the stock off and clean and oil the underside of the action and barrel too, then re assemble and re-torque your action to the stock.

my buddy has a 700vtr in 308 and he loves it, congrats on the new rifle

that scratch looks normal to me-- when you pull back on the bolt to eject the round, the ejector pushes the cartridge to the right as the rim is held under the extractor --- this causes the cartridge to ride the right side of the bolt/action and scratch the case (This is especially evident in AR style rifles due to the multi lug bolt/barrel extension)--- you sometimes will also see scratches from magazine feed lips, feed ramps, etc

But as for your question about cleaning-- I always clean new rifles as best as possible as there is usually still machining oil residue and even rust preventative on the rifle and in the bore --its a good idea (if you think you see rust) to take the stock off and clean and oil the underside of the action and barrel too, then re assemble and re-torque your action to the stock.
Yes j will there is definitely some rust

I'd pull the whole rifle apart and start cleaning by shooting it with a brake cleaner.....all that garbage around the magazine will be a mess trying to wipe it out....
Sure doesn't look brand new to me.....looks well used....
Looks like a remington VTR.....wasnt that discontinued years ago....

I'd pull the whole rifle apart and start cleaning by shooting it with a brake cleaner.....all that garbage around the magazine will be a mess trying to wipe it out....
they still sell them--https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-vtr -- model # 84374--they usually sell for right around $700, but traditionally they are not fast sellers so it may have been on the shelf for a while

I agree with everyone that it needs a through cleaning. Stripping it apart is the best way to prevent damage to the stock from harsh solvents. Some of the stuff in the chamber is old oil or solvents and needs to be cleaned. Use a bore swab that will fit the chamber with bore solvent on it to clean the chamber. If you have external rust, a copper brillow pad will do a good job of cleaning without scratching the bluing.

After a through cleaning, wipe down with a good gun oil and reassemble.

good shooting

J E CUSTOM

they still sell them--https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-vtr -- model # 84374--they usually sell for right around $700, but traditionally they are not fast sellers so it may have been on the shelf for a while
I believe that's what happend because it was cheap

I agree with everyone that it needs a through cleaning. Stripping it apart is the best way to prevent damage to the stock from harsh solvents. Some of the stuff in the chamber is old oil or solvents and needs to be cleaned. Use a bore swab that will fit the chamber with bore solvent on it to clean the chamber. If you have external rust, a copper brillow pad will do a good job of cleaning without scratching the bluing.

After a through cleaning, wipe down with a good gun oil and reassemble.

good shooting

J E CUSTOM
Thanks

Well I don't think it was used but I think the gun store own didn't take care of it well

I have seen seen, brand new, in the box rifles, just like yours that needed to be thoroughly cleaned, before shooting, due to metal chips and production oils still in the action, and inside the barrel.
As always, new or used, a thorough cleaning is in order after a purchase. Partly due to QC, on the new on at least. And some makers purposely leave a protectant on the metal work, which is a dust and dirt attractant anyway. Give it nice bath, oil it down good. Good luck !

I have seen seen, brand new, in the box rifles, just like yours that needed to be thoroughly cleaned, before shooting, due to metal chips and production oils still in the action, and inside the barrel.
As always, new or used, a thorough cleaning is in order after a purchase. Partly due to QC, on the new on at least. And some makers purposely leave a protectant on the metal work, which is a dust and dirt attractant anyway. Give it nice bath, oil it down good. Good luck !
Yes I cleaned it tonight an will clean the barrel when starting the break in process I figured out it's the feed lips(I think that's what they're called) making those gauges in the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.