How much base cant is enough

YZEATER

picked up a new leupold 4.5-14 40mm for on my remington m700 .257 weatherby mag. i have a set of burris double dovetail rings with the inserts i can use, or i could buy a 20 moa base for it. will 20 moa be enough to get me at least 800 yards? i got the B&C reticle, but i want to learn how to dial in range.

will i even need a 20moa base?

i just want to set it up once and be done with it. this will be used for anything with 4 legs.

Last edited:
All you need to do is look and see how many MOAs total you have in your scope. Cut that in half, and then see how many MOAs you need to get to the distance you want to shoot.

i don't have my exact load data here. i think i'm shooting 110 accubonds, 3100 fps and using best of the west's ballistic calculator it gonna take 18 moa to reach 800yds. my scope has 116 moa total range.

thanks guys.

after shooting this weekend at 360 and 500 holding over and using a drop chart is getting old. my shooting buddy and i are going to learn something new. we always talk about it while getting ready for deer season.

edit fixed the moa.

Last edited:
picked up a new leupold 4.5-14 40mm for on my remington m700 .257 weatherby mag. i have a set of burris double dovetail rings with the inserts i can use, or i could buy a 20 moa base for it. will 20 moa be enough to get me at least 800 yards? i got the B&C reticle, but i want to learn how to dial in range.

will i even need a 20moa base?

i just want to set it up once and be done with it. this will be used for anything with 4 legs.

I would try to find a 10MOA or at the most 15 MOA base for 800 to 1000 yards.

I personally Like to work in the middle range of the scope so that any error is minimized.

And 10 to 15 MOA bases will give you that and you will be able to come down to 200 Yards
if you want to.

20 to 30 MOA bases are for extreme ranges but will not allow you to zero at normal
distances (200 to 300 yards).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

+1 on the above comment. Also, take into account how you are going to use the rifle. If it will be a carry rifle for general hunting, but you just want to learn to dial in for a long shot if it presents itself, then leave it as is. If you are going to get serious about taking long shots, and you practice a lot at the range, then take the advice above. One more thing, find where the scope is exactly in the middle of your elevation, then see if you have to move it up or down to zero the rifle. Sometimes you use up a lot of elevation to get yourself zeroed, but it could work the other way in your favor.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.