Rem 700 bolt swapping considerations

Willoughby

Im considering changing a standard bolt for a magnum bolt - I understand headspace is critical but are there other things to consider when swapping bolts on a older 700 ? like maybe the ramp on handle for primary extraction? or any other consideration to be aware of? TIA for any and all advise

Yes, there are all of those things to consider.

However, I have a Remington 721 action from the 1950's with a ebay 700 bolt from the 70's, and factory 308 barrel from the 20-teen's, along with newer model X-mark pro trigger.

Amazingly it all went together and headspaced perfectly. The only modification I made was to cut a small relief on the action for the new style safety lever.

So yes, all of what you mentioned should be considered. But, you'll never know the impact until you have the parts in hand.

No big deal. Headspace will sort itself out with the new barrel. You won't know about the cam surfaces/timing of the new bolt till you try it, but it's also "fixable" if there's inadequate primary extraction. You'll want to lap in the new bolt lugs to the receiver before fitting the new barrel.

^^^
I'll add a caveat, I assumed you were fitting a new barrel- if you're trying to spin on a take-off, don't lap the lugs until you check headspace. Sometimes a take-off will headspace within specs (even if it doesn't clock correctly). Check headspace first in this case, if it were to be borderline no-go, lapping lugs would make it worse. By extension, if headspace were a few thou too tight- lapping would bring it into spec.