reloading press

D Scott

I have been using a rockchucker press for a few years now, Ive noticed that I have lube on the ram as it comes down, building up only on one side, and it made me think if its square to hole at the top that holds the die, any thoughts on this,compared to say a Forster co ax press, would there be any practical gain in accuracy when loading for an accurate rifle ? any feedback would be appreciated
thanks Scott

If the ram is square or not, which I'm sure it probably is, doesn't really matter. When you set your dies to bump the shell holder on the top of the stroke, it squares the die with the shell holder, which squares the case also. There's probably more slop in the fit of the shell holder into the top of the ram than there is between the ram and the frame. If you didn't have some clearance you wouldn't be able to get a shell holder in and out.

If the ram is square or not, which I'm sure it probably is, doesn't really matter. When you set your dies to bump the shell holder on the top of the stroke, it squares the die with the shell holder, which squares the case also. There's probably more slop in the fit of the shell holder into the top of the ram than there is between the ram and the frame. If you didn't have some clearance you wouldn't be able to get a shell holder in and out.

One press has guide rods to maintan alignment, and the other dose not. It's quite common to see the bore for the ram wear out of round and also with a taper in it. I've rebuilt a couple RCBS presses in the past and the bore wear will often be scarey. A before and after check in a shadowgraph proved these issues, but you can also see them with a NECO case gauge.. I reground one ram and hard chromed the other and reground it. Then made bushings to sleeve the bore. One was with Ampco bronze and the other was with steel drill bushings. Set the presses up for .001" clearence (maybe .0015" as it's been awhile). Made a world of difference.

On the otherhand the Co-Ax press I own was bought before Forster owned the company (1978), and it's just as tight and square today as the day it was unboxed. This has tobe from the guide rods that controll the ram's travel
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.