Reloading Press Help

That's pretty ironic for a press with a 2" ram.
Would nice if they'd give you a toggle without the cut out.
Or get the one they give you and take it to a machine shop and see if they could make you one without the cutout.
Or put the new toggle in sell it and get a Lee classic cast. I've used both and prefer the Lee but nothing wrong with the summit.
Being it's a known problem, they should be providing a steel replacement. Cast iron is brittle, but apparently cheap, and has no business being in a stress area.

Being it's a known problem, they should be providing a steel replacement. Cast iron is brittle, but apparently cheap, and has no business being in a stress area.
The rep wouldn't admit it is a known problem, but circle talked that it was...
All good things come to an end, and so has RCBS customer service. I used to brag about RCBS having the best customer service in the World, but apparently with selling to a large conglomeration their CS went to pot.

I told her that my kinetic bullet puller exploded when I went to pull a bullet. She responds, "What is exploded, I don't know what that means!" I replied, "Well, like pieces flew all different directions and I was left holding a broken handle without a hammer portion attached." She says, "You'll have to send the broken handle in for proof of purchase." Me, "You want me to send a broken piece of plastic off a $25 item, but will replace the toggle off a $250 item no question? Nah, I'm not doing that!"

Last edited:
It is a really bad design, breakage reports are very common...it's not worth fixing. Make it stronger in one area, it will break somewhere else.
I'd mill a new piece out of a solid piece of steel, easy with a milling machine...but then it would break again in another place. Throw in the garbage, it aint even worth recycling...cut your loses and time.

Those measurements are way shorter than they should be if you're measuring to the correct point on the shoulder for a headspace measurement. Your brass should be 1.634 -.007 from the base to the point where the shoulder is .4" in diameter. You're probably measuring with something that sit farther back on the shoulder, which is fine for relative measurements but not comparing to a specification or someone else's measurements.
Brass comes out the box new at 1.627" actual length base to shoulder datum. Fired brass actual 1.630". Minimum chamber is 1.631" (.001" spring back)
It's pretty easy to check if you're making contact before the top of the stroke. If the handle stops before the end of its travel when there's not a case in the shell holder you're making contact. If it goes all the way down you're not. It's possible that your dies aren't set in a way that's stretching your press. I've seen a lot of cam over presses broken by people following the instructions to the letter, but I may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion about yours.
The Summit is basically up-side-down, but I understand the concept.

It is a really bad design, breakage reports are very common...it's not worth fixing. Make it stronger in one area, it will break somewhere else.
I'd mill a new piece out of a solid piece of steel, easy with a milling machine...but then it would break again in another place. Throw in the garbage, it aint even worth recycling...cut your loses and time.
Well, I got a backup press bought. I'm stuck with this one, so I might as well get the single pin to replace the two upper linkage bolts and see if I can't break it again! 🤪

I am wondering if something is wrong with the arms being at two different lengths. There by placing undue pressure or on one side or the other. That I think would snap the part fairly quickly. I never had a problem with a rockchucker press.
Perhaps it's the added stress from just using one side for the handle ? What if the handle used both holes and was centered ? Applying even pressure.