Help newbe select a reloading press.

encoreguy

I am new to reloading and I am collecting my components. I am not a high volume shooter and never will be so speed is not an issue. Precision is the number one concern for me. I want to start out at a modest priced model to see if I like reloading before shelling out big bucks on a better press (like a Forster Co-Ax). Right now I am leaning toward a Lee Classic Cast or RCBS Rockchucker. The Lee runs $60 and the Rockchucker runs $108. I thought that I could save the approx. $50 and use it to buy better dies or other accuracy tools? What are your thoughts.

For that budget I'd use the Rockchucker but its worth the extra money to get a Co-Ax now , they are awsome very accurate ammo very quick die change their worth every penny. buy one now for $180 and you'll have saved yourself $100 next year when you want to replace the RCBS.

But realy the RCBS and Redding single stage presses are great , I still use a little RCBS Partner press a good bit for

i have the rockchucker and like it. start with at least the rockchucker and save yourself some $$ in the long run

encoreguy

I have an extra Forster Coax press that I will sell for $120 plus $10 shipping.

I like the Classic Cast. I like it better than the RCBS actually. The other Lee presses aren't the greatest by any means but, they've put out a pretty nice single stage w/ the new CC.

Get the Lee and have extra $ to get some other components as well.

Reloader

I have a RCBS RS 2. I purchased it back in the 60s. It's been a heck of a good press. A few years ago I purchased a Partner press so I could set up my seating die and not have to switch dies when I went from sizing to seating. Know what I know now, I'd buy the Partner press and not the larger press. It does the job just as easy. And yes, I have sized with it. A big press is kind of like having a 600 horse motor in a car driven in a town like NYC. Nice to have, but not really necessary.

I started reloading with a Lee reloading kit (challenger press) and although it's not the greatest press, I managed to put together some good loads. I have recently upgraded to the Lee Classic press and like it.

Get the Lee Classic, you can always upgrade later, or have a press to dedicate to one operation.

A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

If you are going to get into reloading, I would suggest that you buy a good top end press a RCBS Rockchucker, or a Redding, sorry to say that I have yet to try a Bonanza. I can't speak of the lyman, not familiar with them. I use a Rock Chucker and full length size the Magnum cases with ease. At my rifle range shack, I use a RCBS Jr just to seat bullets with when I am doing load development at the range, and a Huntington Press press to seat bullets when I travel to other ranges.

It is a real double barrel bitch to full length size cases with the RCBS Jr, and I mean if feels like you are going to pull the bench off the wall.

I highly suggest that you go on ebay and buy your press, you will have great savings.

Good luck and best wishes on your new adventure!

[ QUOTE ]
A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently haven't seen the new Classic Cast.

I prefer it to a Rockchucker any day.

The cheap Lee presses aren't even in the same league as a classic cast.

I tell you what, I'm so confident in their new press I'd pay you $1000 if you could break the handle out of it on sizing any case you can fit in it. It's a whole different animal than the cheap presses they sell.

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.