Help with Bullet/Reloading Selection

TaergEno

Hey everyone, I am new to the site and was wondering if I could get some help on what would be a good bullet for hunting.

The Rifle:
Savage Arms Model: 110 FCP HS Precision (Currently on 10day Wait Period)
Chambered in .338 Lapua

I have been talking to some people around the area I live and they have recommended Nosler Accubond in either 225gr or 250gr or Barnes TTSX .338 Lapua 265gr bullet.

The barrel is the 1:9 twist according to the Savage Site, which I know is better for the heavier bullets.

Background on Hunting Location....Yes I know the .338 Lapua is Overkill for what I will be hunting, which is why I am not really looking at a 300gr Bullet.

The area is Ruth, CA and I will be hunting Black Tail. I want a bullet that has a better controlled expansion, as there is a possibility of shooting a deer in the sub 200yd range, and I would prefer not to 'blow' the deer in half.

I will probably invest in some Lapua Brand Brass due to the overwhelming consensus of it being superior to other brands. I am also unsure as to what powder to use. My friend uses H4831SC for his .300 Weatherby Magnum and if that is a good powder to use in the .338 LM that would be great, because we would then split the cost on powder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there are other good options for Bullets I am 100% open to the suggestions. I just don't want to end up buying a bullet, and have it turn out to not be a good choice.

Thank you,
James

Thanks for the link, and the info on the powder. So you don't think a 280 would be too much bullet for a Black Tail? I have also been hearing that the SMK would be good, but isn't that a bullet made more for match shooting? I heard those are not good for hunting. Also I have seen around on forums, that Bergers are good bullets.

Any thoughts on those?

I mainly just do not want to have too much bullet to the point where I have nothing but Burger.

I do plan on shooting longer distance in the future, but for now, as I do not have alot of experience at long range shooting, I will probably stick to 500yd or less for reliable hunting.

Thanks,
James

The 280 grain Barnes isn't too much for blacktail, infact i am using that combo for antelope, deer, and elk this year.

The Smk has been proven time and time again on game at long range but I am not sure about close range/ high velocity impacts as I have never used them.

Now to the Berger :D, i am not a fan of Berger bullets, I have never used them, but I don't like the way they are supposed to do their damage on game. Just me. Broz on here uses the Berger with success, you might want to send him a pm if he doesn't jump in on this conversation.

At the relativly low velocities the 338 Lapua works at with 280-300 grain bullets you shouldn't ruin very much meat. You will probably have more meat damage with lighter/faster bullets in the 200-225 grain range.

I hope this helps with your decision.

BTW the 225 grain Nosler accubond has been used a LOT by LR hunters. Do a search in the upper right corner.

Thank you very much for your responses. I will definitely look into the 280-300 gr options. I will also do some more searching/rummaging on here, as you suggested.

Thanks,
James

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts