Reloading Manuals - Pros and Cons

It's my understanding they compile it from the actual loads provided by the powder companies. The loads for 357 max, 44 mag, and 223 are straight from Lapua vitavhouri's data as are Hornady,s also.

and NOHING that has to be loaded with a tiny "coke spoon" is going to work for me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm thankful to live in a time and country where we can pool experience, knowledge, and even opinions. I have very much enjoyed reading the discussion.

Dan, out of idle curiosity, what did brass used to cost when you felt like you could afford to burn through them quickly?

I pretty much agree with all that has been said except that I have never been a patient at an asylum:).

Basically it comes down to every gun being different; the books being a guide and data on the internet suspect. What about this tool that lets mere mortals measure the actual pressure generated in your barrel/chamber RSI - PressureTrace

I don't own one, but I might if I was dedicated to getting the most power out of a given rifle. The conversation about "area under the curve" is really interesting.

Forward we go...

I only have Noslers 6th manual, but your observation is very interesting. Evidently you can't completely trust the books either. For what it is worth, I am loading a .308 right now and the Nosler manual lists a higher max load for Varget than the Hodgen website (48.5gr for Nosler and 47.0 on the Hodgen site). Both for a 150g bullet.

Hodgdon's numbers are more likely based on case fill and OAL, so as not to get the charge too compressed.

Nosler does show some pretty generous Varget numbers. I've shot 47.8 grains of Varget in Winchester brass with 155's, and it's an extremely accurate load, but I don't seat the bullets terribly far into the case.

Were Nosler to have really shot that .308 Varget data in their own brass (as the number 6 and presumably number 7 manual says) they'd have had some serious blown primer issues going on...
:eek:

Dan

Loading manuals to me are a reference point, and just one of many. currently I have 2 Hornady, 2 Nosler a sierra, Berger. I extensively use the intewebs, manufactures websites and sites such as Reloaders nest. Why? Think of it this way. If you have 1 manual you have exactly 1 reference point that may or may not be valid for you immediate needs, if you have many reference points then you ha a library with much information allowing you to make a much more informed decision as to whether or not you should move forward with a load, try it at all, what to expect what not to expect. Knowledge is power and the base from which safety, quality is derived.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm thankful to live in a time and country where we can pool experience, knowledge, and even opinions. I have very much enjoyed reading the discussion.

Dan, out of idle curiosity, what did brass used to cost when you felt like you could afford to burn through them quickly?
i don't know about dan but i started with a 22-250 for coyotes and i bought loaded ammo that i shot at coyotes for 2.50 a box[win.&rem.both]when i got a couple hundred WW i started reloading.so i never bought in bulk for a while when i could shoot them so cheap and the coyotes paid for all my stuff including .22 cents for gas.that was after i got out fo the army in the late 60's.

I had a good source for brass not so terribly long back... I could get 50 cases for under 10 dollars. Now it's hard to find for less than twice that... so that's when I began to be a little more careful with the cases. :)

Evidently you can't completely trust the books either. For what it is worth, I am loading a .308 right now and the Nosler manual lists a higher max load for Varget than the Hodgen website

If all book makers used the same rifles, components and measuring equipment I suspect the data would closely match.

I just wish that these manuals would give info on different barrel lengths. A lot of loads wont give near the velocities stated in shorter barrels
I'v got 7 or 8 load books but the best one I have got now is my Nosler it gives
you all the info you need for any caliber.
like it gives you the most accruate load for each powder.

I have the Nosler 5 & 6 manuals.

Most of the data pertaining to charge weight and velocity is exactly the same for most cartridges.

However, there are some differences.

For example, the load density is different through out. No 6 manual has higher load density with the Nosler brass.

If you look at the 280AI as an example, the data has more powders listed, and the velocities listed are not the same for the 140 and 160 grain bullets.

In other cartridges, it is the same data with the exception of load density.

I look at manuals as a guide or reference. I also look at multiple sources for load data simply as a means to check and recheck. After all, my gun, chamber, barrel, etc., isn't the same exact one their data was developed in. So I look at all my resources and use them to make sure I'm not doing anything to put myself at risk.

Even on my wildcat rounds, I still use load manuals/booklets, etc., and compare cases of simar design and capacity for reference purposes.

The more data/knowledge one has available, the better equipped one is to make informed decisions and choices.

Regards,
Rog

I read a comment someone made in a review that in their opinion the Lyman manual is the best for the beginner. Any thoughts from those who've read it?

I'v got 7 or 8 load books but the best one I have got now is my Nosler it gives
you all the info you need for any caliber.
like it gives you the most accruate load for each powder.

Ive gotten the Nosler #7 here lately and I must say it changed my mind about loading manuals. I kinda like it and it has more than enough info between the covers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.