Pros and cons of custom reloading die...

DanGuy48

...made to chamber specs. So, Warner Tools will make a reloading die to your chamber if you send them several rounds of fired brass. I'm aware that this provides minimal reworking of the brass for a full length resize. What are some of the other pros and cons? Is such a die useless when it comes time to buy a new barrel? If there's a thread on this already, a link would be great. I didn't see one on a quick search.

It 'provides minimal reworking of the brass for a full length resize' if this is chosen by THAT die maker. Don't assume it, find out exactly what the custom die will or can be doing (goals).

Last edited:
A good die can be made from your reamer/chamber dimensions. This is custom, it's good, but not fitted, which is better.
You don't always need the chamber reamer, or reamer print, while providing properly fire formed cases. Some custom die makers build the die to size down from that provided baseline. With this, you can steer the outcome to your desired sizing actions.

For a 6.5wssm imp wildcat, I wanted a bump die. This, for bumping of 35deg shoulders, with zero body or neck sizing.
I knew my die maker would build a body-bushing die to size down all provided as fire formed, by 1thou (after spring back). I did not want this, so I fire formed 5 cases to overpressure dimensions (+1-1.5thou), and sent these. With this, my die was made to squeeze case bodies during bumping -without actually sizing. I left the neck bushing out of the die, and this is how I ended up with my custom bump die, doing exactly what I want.
I have had bullet seating dies made with my finish reamers. Wilson die blanks, basically chambered like my barrels. Works good.

Before ordering a custom die, you need to know what you want and see that through. Otherwise it's not a custom die. It's just an aftermarket die, which might not be any better than off the shelf dies from other makers.

Last edited:
If you plan on going through several barrels in this cartridge just buy your reamers. This way the same reamer is used for each barrel.

morning, I bought a accu-mark 340wbee new. I found a load that is
scary accurate in this caliber. I bought rcbs dies for this caliber. then
I bought a used set of Neil Jones dies with a full set of neck bushing dies.
these dies r very precision. Neil Jones custom products. a full set is not
cheap. very impressive. 814-763-2769. the business is in PA.
I use rcbs micro seating in my .308, .223, 6mmAI, 243AI, and 257Wbee.
these type of dies r not necessary for the average shooter. but for extreme
accuracy these type of dies r a big plus. TUM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.