Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

I have a hard time "charging" myself or counting my time as overhead for participating in a hobby.
I think my time has value and I try to not waste it, but I agree with you that I wouldn't ever try to calculate the actual cost of my time in terms of dollars. I apply the concept of my time having value in terms of I'm willing to spend money on an Autotrickler when using scoops and a manual scale could be just as accurate for 1/10th the cost - the 9/10ths more cost is worth it to me to save lots of time in a not particularly enjoyable part of the process. I'm definitely not charging myself for the overall time I spend loading and shooting, but I'm willing to look at it from the perspective of "I can spend $1,000 and either load ten times faster or load ten times as much in the same time frame, or the same amount in 1/10th of the time as if I spent $100." I don't derive enjoyment from measuring charge weights to the kernel (it's a necessary evil to me), so I'm willing to put up money there to keep the overall loading process enjoyable.

I'm not retired and work a time-demanding job (which I really enjoy), so like Lance said weighing loading time against family time is another place where it's easy for me to justify spending money to save time. Not to rush my enjoyment of the hobby, but to get through certain parts of it in a way I can spent that time doing something more important. My kids aren't old enough for the detail and precision required for loading, hopefully in the future I get to combine loading and quality family time. They will learn the basics first - specifically with analog calipers, Vernier scale mics, and a manual balance.

Just saying, Time is money. Time away from family is costly.
I don't know you, or your shooting habits. But I know loading and shooting 5000+ rounds in 2021 sure takes a lot of time. Just because you enjoy doing it does not mean the overhead "cost" is not there.
The whole thing is overhead. The guns, the time, the equipment, the scouting trips, the gear. I mean that's why I reload because it's part of my hobby. I take some time away from the family to go hunt, at least when I'm reloading I'm still there. I try to take the kids shooting too. I guess I just look at it different, I could be doing something unproductive, but I'm not. I just think, like I said, if the time is so much that it's a detriment then maybe loading, or even shooting for that matter, isn't the right answer for someone.

So if you were reloading 30 years ago and stock piled components, you have it good. If you are are reloading now with limited stock, it is more difficult but still worth it. Obviously this post was intended to gather perspectives and it succeeded. I wish I had not used the $3 reference for a loaded round in the first post. It did not amortize the brass life. I tend to look for premium components when loading for my rifles (ADG/Nosler brass, Nosler/Berger/Hammer bullets, Federal Match primers, etc). If you fall into the gouging trap, you can easily reach a point where you are dropping a chunk of change every time you go out shooting. It most certainly is still worth it. I really started reloading when I found it difficult to find specific ammo for some of my guns. I was one of those crazy people that enjoyed shooting 500SW handguns. Now I have more components for the 500 than I will ever shoot. If a grizzly bear shows up with bad intentions, I am ready LOL.

I think my time has value and I try to not waste it, but I wouldn't ever try to calculate the actual cost of my time in terms of dollars. I apply the concept of my time having value in terms of I'm willing to spend money on an Autotrickler when using scoops and a manual scale could be just as accurate for 1/10th the cost - the 9/10ths more cost is worth it to me to save lots of time in a not particularly enjoyable part of the process. I'm definitely not charging myself for the overall time I spend loading and shooting, but I'm willing to look at it from the perspective of "I can spend $1,000 and either load ten times faster or load ten times as much in the same time frame, or the same amount in 1/10th of the time as if I spent $100." I don't derive enjoyment from measuring charge weights to the kernel (it's a necessary evil to me), so I'm willing to put up money there to keep the overall loading process enjoyable.

I'm not retired and work a time-demanding job (which I really enjoy), so like Lance said weighing loading time against family time is another place where it's easy for me to justify spending money to save time. Not to rush my enjoyment of the hobby, but to get through certain parts of it in a way I can spent that time doing something more important. My kids aren't old enough for the detail and precision required for loading, hopefully in the future I get to combine the two.
I get that aspect of it 100%! I buy stuff that makes my reloading more enjoyable and less time consuming.

I work full time too, plus this year I'll be starting college online as a full time student as well. Honestly, I might not get to shoot very much at all which really sucks because I have a couple guns they I'm either just finished putting together or will be done shortly. So even shooting might not be worth the extra time for me to take. Maybe if I get all my stuff done then I can take some late nights to prep brass and get things ready.

The whole thing is overhead. The guns, the time, the equipment, the scouting trips, the gear. I mean that's why I reload because it's part of my hobby. I take some time away from the family to go hunt, at least when I'm reloading I'm still there. I try to take the kids shooting too. I guess I just look at it different, I could be doing something unproductive, but I'm not. I just think, like I said, if the time is so much that it's a detriment then maybe loading, or even shooting for that matter, isn't the right answer for someone.
Couldn't agree more.
Another reason to reload....reduced loads to get the kids into shooting! Great point. Both my daughters are stone cold killers. And my younger daughter has the biggest deer in the family to brag about. Having accurate loads in their guns takes a lot of time. But the end results definitely justify the means.

Are the huge costs you are paying due to the prohibitive taxes placed on ammo or the actual retail costs of the ammo?
It has always been the "Australia Tax", which is the amount tacked on by the vendor.
When IKEA came here, they looked at the market and said to themselves "we are gonna make a lot of money here."
Everybody, including themselves, were expecting to have similar prices to what was available online to buy….nope, the market here demanded that their prices be 30% higher BEFORE a single tax was added. This was due to consumer laws protecting other business where you cannot undercut another business legally by 50% prior to tax.
So we have the highest IKEA prices in the ENTIRE WORLD.
This is what it is like here, taxes are high, prices are way too high and the Government sits back and reaps all the rewards. They have only ever given us tax breaks when we were in surplus. Still have an income tax threshold of $18.000. This is still too high.

Cheers.

I work full time too, plus this year I'll be starting college online as a full time student as well. Honestly, I might not get to shoot very much at all which really sucks
There was a several year long period I didn't shoot at all, tough times at work plus a preemie baby and it just wasn't worth the tradeoffs and costs. Sucked at the time, but coming back to it later was even better than starting in the first place.

Yeah, I would be loading now. I had a pretty good stock of primers from awa-ay-back, and an old 'friend" came around pleading poverty of components. Said he and his boys were going out for a week of slaying sage rats, and he wanted to load for his kids and grandkids. He tried everything and finally got away with my stock at the very old prices, about $8 bucks a thousand. I just wanted to help him out. I was unaware of the price increases. Later I found out he had been laughing and bragging about the "steal" all over the gun club, and had sold them all at inflated prices at a gun show. So much for friendship and honor!

If nothing else reloading has led me down a path of discovery and learning. For example, for a while I owned a Cooper in .270 Wby Mag. It shot well and I got superb performance out of the cartridge and rifle. A shooting/reloading buddy at the range pointed out to me that all the extra money I was putting into the wby mag reloads was only getting me about 5% more in performance. IE my wby mag load was 65gr of powder, and that particular caliber had some finicky needs when it came to powder. It was pointed out to me that a .270win would use less powder (my current load is 51gr) and the brass is easier to find and cheaper and lasts longer. I was spending about 3.55 per round over the course of 5 reloads and getting 5% better performance over the .270win which costs me, in todays dollars 1.85 per round. almost 55% more in cost per round for 5% improved performance. Were I not a reloader, my colleagues advice would have fallen on ears that didn't have the knowledge to make an informed decision. Knowledge too, is worth it.

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
For me , it's truly not the cost , it's more about learning and enjoying the hobby.
It's truly relaxing , and it is quite rewarding when you make your own mix that shoots well out if your rifle . Then you shoot a deer or elk or whatever you may be hunting for .

Just my
.02 cents

I didn't start reloading to save money,

I'm the same as ButterBean, reloading is about tuning a round that performs consistently in your rifles, nothing to do with money at all for me.
It's a disease that you catch to chase one hole group's or it's not good enough.
Born on the range proven in the field, anyone who has shot a match would agree.