reloading help

I too just started reloading this year with this (using Redding dies) for $299...

1.jpg

... built a portable bench to go with ...

004-1.jpg

... and stumbled through my first successful load dev't with more room for refinement ...

P9250354.jpg

... and now I am hooked!

Good luck and enjoy.

thats nice like the box it all fits in. I found a small hole in the wall reloading shop close to home here. Going to go there shortly with my reloading mentor. I all ready talked to the shop. My friend was there and he told he about me. So some how I think thay are going to get me set up right. I got to save up more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ new it was going to happen.

I think the most important part of your reloading equipment are the dies... if you are looking at precision loading for precision shooting. Forster and Redding make good dies, but I like the Redding better. Read up on the advantages to the different types of sizing dies and pick what you like.

I would recommend (from Redding)...

The standard neck sizing die with floating expander button. Use a rubber "O" ring with the expander, to minimize run out. Use a body die to bump your shoulder if needed .... or...

FL die with mentiond floating expander... or....

Type S bushing neck sizer and body die (requires turning your necks which requires a neck turner) ... or...

Type S bushing FL die

these will all work well but i think the bushing dies are the best option for precision loading... read up on it.

By ALL means, get a competition bullet seater. The Forster and the redding are very good, I lke the Redding better.

Welcome to LRH and reloading,

Regards,

Mark

thanks I was starting to wonder about that. I have seen that people were talking about diffrent dies in the same press. I going to ask my bud if we can reload some of shot brass. So I can get a feel for it.

What do any of you know about the lee breech lock challenger press kits? You think it is a ok set up for the money? 134.00 for the anniversary kit or just the breech lock kit for 150.00 the difrence is primer loading off the press or on? By the way I spent all my cash I had saved. But I got a weatherby vanguard in 7mm rem mag OOPS. WOW are the rounds for them big $$$$$$

Last edited:
UPDATE that vangaurd is a peace of you get it. Went back to were I got it from and did a store trade got a 700 in the same. Ok got the press comming for Xmas. told the wife get it for me cuz I will go buy it any way:D I need dies what brand does every one like and why. I seen one out here that I can fine tune cant remember what brand HELP Can any one help what bullet 7mm rem mag the barrle is 26" long stainless steel

I was looking at that RCBS kit for 200.00. the price scares me.

My last set of dies cost a little more than that!

It is a bit pricey to get started but good equipment, if taken care of, will last the rest of your life. I have been reloading for about 35 years and I still have my original tools, I have added along the way and sold a few things off that I didn't use but if you buy what you need as you go it isn't too bad. I prefer single stage presses and I also like to weigh every powder charge when I load rifle ammo, my pistol charges I throw with a measure. That RCBS kit is a good one and although the price has gone up a little since I bought mine for $69.95 back in the day, it is still quality stuff.

Like the others have said, get the manuals and read them, especially all the boring stuff in the front!

I would steer clear of Lee if you value good tools as you've stated you do. Lee=Harbor Freight IMHO. The only thing they make that I use is their factory crimp die. Pretty hard to go wrong with RCBS. I'd see if your buddy was willing to part with that Rockchucker that is gathering dust under his bench and build from there. Single stage is definitely the place to start until you know just exactly what is going on at each stage of the process and spend time with your mentor!

I have 5 different presses at this time, and must say you can't beat the DILLON for a progressive, and I use the old RCBS for the bigger stuff (300rum etc.) and the others are set up for specific jobs, but I WILL NOT use the new RCBS dies, the quality sucks, DILLON or HORNADY are great .

I was thinking about seeing what he would part with. Just buy as I go thing that way I get what I want. I got to stop by the book store what U thunk speer

You came to a great place to ask questions about handloading. I just started this year and have learned so much from all these guys. I highly recommend the articles on case prep and ladder testing. Also the 6mmBR forum is nice as well.
As for your choice of books, I would probably not get that one. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but if you get the RCBS kit, it comes with that same manual. My first manual was the Nosler manual and I like it a good bit. My loading kit was Hornady, so now I have two good manuals.

My biggest advice. Just take your time and don't rush. Also KEEP RECORDS!!!

Chris

Anyone have any good record keeping suggestions?

YA take my time Iam sitting here with nothing to do LOL I want it now wa wa. thanks going to check it out

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.