Reloading

CRKCKR - I had a fellow I worked for briefly who gave me a biz title meant to impress on a box of business cards. Didn't use them. I have abt 1000 of those plus some of mine left over and they make handy, durable note mat'l. A bud of mine says plastic zip baggies are the best way to pack a lo of ammo in a small space for the high consumption forays. The plastic ammo boxes transport too much air.
I'm glad you mentioned returning to a task after a day, or 2 or three. Retired life seems to become strangely busy. Amazingly so. The thrown powder left in cases, for sure a no no.
Ah yes, only ONE powder container in the immediate reloading area. I recently contaminated several pound$..........first time in many a year, but I DID it. It hurts my heart in a big, big way to waste dollars. Enough to make a preacher cuss. :)

15522670951611252225736.jpg
TJ,
Cross contaminating powder is one I've avoided so far but I've come close. Probably one of the worst things I've done (as long as we're confessing our sins!) Is loading a 250 gr. bullet using 200gr. data. Blew the snot out of the primer pocket but the bolt lift was sort of ok (I only had to whack it few times with my hand... no block of wood necessary). Thing smacked me a good one, too. When I shoot my .338WM off the bench the scope ticks the bottom of my glasses with each shot. A little disconcerting at first but I got used to it. That time it nearly knocked 'em off my face and I was wearing ear muffs (and plugs... bring around jets, guns and rock 'n roll all of my life my hearing is as bad as I can stand already!). Real wake up, that one. Live and learn... or don't live! I am also guilty of something the books tell you not to do... storing powder in alternate containers. I use a fair amount of Alliant powder but I hate those tall containers and usually transfer it to the smaller Hodgdon containers... however, I also transfer parts of the label as well, like in the picture. The bench looks really bad right now but I'm not loading, I'm sorting/sizing brass. It will get cleaned up some before any powder gets opened... honest!
Cheers,
crkckr

View attachment 126206 TJ,
Cross contaminating powder is one I've avoided so far but I've come close. Probably one of the worst things I've done (as long as we're confessing our sins!) Is loading a 250 gr. bullet using 200gr. data. Blew the snot out of the primer pocket but the bolt lift was sort of ok (I only had to whack it few times with my hand... no block of wood necessary). Thing smacked me a good one, too. When I shoot my .338WM off the bench the scope ticks the bottom of my glasses with each shot. A little disconcerting at first but I got used to it. That time it nearly knocked 'em off my face and I was wearing ear muffs (and plugs... bring around jets, guns and rock 'n roll all of my life my hearing is as bad as I can stand already!). Real wake up, that one. Live and learn... or don't live! I am also guilty of something the books tell you not to do... storing powder in alternate containers. I use a fair amount of Alliant powder but I hate those tall containers and usually transfer it to the smaller Hodgdon containers... however, I also transfer parts of the label as well, like in the picture. The bench looks really bad right now but I'm not loading, I'm sorting/sizing brass. It will get cleaned up some before any powder gets opened... honest!
Cheers,
crkckr
That bench = signs of a genius at work :>]

Or maybe just a disorganized hillbilly with more guns and toys than he needs? Doesn't seem to make any difference how much room I have, I still manage to fill to over flowing with junk. I am the guy that as soon as I throw something that's been sitting around for years (and has been in the way the entire time, of course) I will find the perfect use for it... and nothing else will do! So I have to spend $20 to buy something that will work. Money that could have gone to bullets or primers or... something else that I don't have a home for. Between the guns, my airplane (an ultralight) and my model airplanes (the other half of the basement!), I can't die, there's just too much to do!
Cheers,
crkckr
PS. I've told the wife the best thing she could do after I die is set fire to the whole thing and run like a rabbit! It would take her years to sell off just the stuff that's worth anything. I would be a lifelong project for her! I pity the poor woman... as I contemplate getting i to another caliber!!

I'm always surprised at how much information is contained in most popular reloading books like the Sierra or Nosler manuals, and my old time favorite...the Lyman manual.

I usually count on donating a couple pieces of brass to the reloading gods when I'm setting a die up for the first time. I'll usually use a couple pieces of once fired range pick up to get close, then fine tune with the brass I want to load...

MQ1

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.