Reloading equipment question

If I were going to do it over I would go with a Mec single stage, I have a RCBS Rebel I do everything on except de-prime. I like a lot,
I played with a Mec a bit at a friend's place and it's a better press IMO

When money is no object I want one of theses. Just learned a bout them from a LRH member

if one has the $$$$$ get a super good one : RCBS SUMMIT can also use straight wilson dies its a super press / arbor style. Redding T-7 love that for the smaller rounds and the Redding ULTRAMAG will cover the bad boys along with RCBS's AMMO MASTER. Are you planning on doing any wildcat's / re-forming brass ? Swag- form-make jacket bullets ? then one needs to look into that re high end heavy solid press. The RCBS / Redding The BOSS & BIG BOSS II should do a great job also the Chucker's and Rebel press by RCBS is nice. I just use the single stage press for 99% of my loading have Auto's that I use for my pistol & shotgun's. I started out with the BLUE company many years back still have that Pacific press and does a great job even today along with my others . Doing it long time you'll have a collection of toys also !!!! Go to a shop that has them on the counter and play with them all get a feel ( each one is different ) just like a car / boat.. enjoy ! its only MONEY !!!!!!!!!

$$$$$ tells the story- I always try to get the best I can afford and maybe a little more. Are you doing pistol / rifle / big Magnums/ Bench shooting or LR/ F-class .. The dies will tell the story / Straight bushing dies for the serious ones and some are custom made at same time the chamber is cut and throated. One can go NUTS for sure !!! Ask questions and try a few out if possible, each one is different.. If one is just reloading to save a $$$$ or two, only need a single stage press ( 99 % of mine are all single stage ) and have many a press. Still have my first one a BLUE COMPANY ONE ( Pacific ) , now am with Redding / RCBS - Huntington tool die Co. Auto / Progressive use for pistol / Shotgun. An arbor press for my Bench / LR shooting straight line bushing dies. Good Luck with your pick.

My thoughts on the CoAx are this….had one and didn't like it, no longer have one and the ammo made on my Supreme with the same dies is just the same.
The Turret presses speed up the process, but they do not quite make as good ammo as a single stage press. Although using comp seaters on one I could never see a difference even with the turret movement.

Cheers.

maybe a used Rockchucker ?
Amazon product ASIN B000N8LJ22
Lyman universal trimmer

Last edited:
My thoughts on the CoAx are this….had one and didn't like it, no longer have one and the ammo made on my Supreme with the same dies is just the same.
The Turret presses speed up the process, but they do not quite make as good ammo as a single stage press. Although using comp seaters on one I could never see a difference even with the turret movement.

Cheers.
I saw a brand new Supreme on ebay for under 200 bucks.... I should've got one before the Lee classic cast. Never checked runout on my Lee only on my Lyman All American 8 turret, the FA coax dropped it down alot. I just picked up Redding standard A dies... the standard seater has less runout then the Bonanza BR chamber seater. Anybody chime in on Redding T7 or the single stage Boss?

So here is a thought. I'm not nearly as experienced as many on here, but I use a Dillon 550 that I bought in the late 1980's. It's a progressive that can load many rounds an hour. For my hunting rounds, I use the Dillon as a single stage press, to ensure consistency with powder measurements and brass prep. Then if I want, I can do progressive reloading for pistol rounds, where I'm not concerned with measurements below 0.1 grain variance. I think the new Dillon 550 presses are similar to the co Ax presses cost-wise.

I know you have asked about a single stage. When I started loading way back when, I had a friend talk me into a Dillon 550 progressive. At first I used it as a single stage press. I now use it as a progressive but weigh every charge. I am so glad that I listened to my friend. Do yourself a favor and at least look at it. Also Dillon has a no BS warranty, they have even replaced parts that I have lost in the process of moving, without charging me. The best customer service I have ever experienced. Good luck in your quest, and welcome to reloading, it is both therapeutic and frustrating.

MEC Marksman is the best press I've used. Redding, Forster, L.E. Wilson, Hornady and Whidden have all made dies I'd buy again.

I have been piecing my reloading supplies and equipment together for a while now. Read so much information that my brain can't make heads or tails of some of it. I am by no means a competitive shooter, but i have nice rifles and i want them to shoot better than my ability. What single stage press and dies should i look at purchasing. This be my last purchase to get me going. Any advice?
I used a RCBS Rock Chucker since 1970 with absolutely no issues. I recently upgraded to a RCBS Turret loader and sold he Rock chucker to a friend who is just getting into reloading. Over the years I probably loaded 100,000 cartridges or more with that press and there are no signs of wear and it is just as rock solid as the day I bought it. New ones still available run $249.95 and as a beginner you can't go wrong with RCBS for all of your reloading products. They are precision made and will last a lifetime.