Reloading 30-378???

KidWalleye

just getting started reloading!

picked up a complete reloading setup from a friends dad. its an aged setup but everything seems to be there and has had VERY little use.

I will be loading it with 210gr Berger VLDs, shooting them out of a Weatherby Mark V 30-378. stock rifle.

now for the questions.

what dies do you all recommend for the 30-378?
primers?
Powders?
loads?
lengths?

I have ordered the berger reloading manuals, just have not received it yet. just trying to get some ideas from you all with experience to get me started.

i am new to reloading in general so if i am missing something please let me know.

thank you all for your time.

Gary

Gary I have a standard load back from when I shot a couple 30-378's. One was an Accumark.

You might want to try this one. It is not a hot load but from a 26" tube will produce 3050 fps and that soft, very expensive Wby brass will last a good while.

210 Berger H VLD
FED GM 215 M primer
98.5 gr of H-1000 (always work up to a charge I would start with 96 gr)
Seat them at 3.800 to the tip. This should feel from the box and allow a little room from the Wby mag box. If not seat them just a tad deeper.

This load has worked well in many 30-378 Wby's and filled my freezer over and over with deer and elk. In fact my friend that has the rifle is still shooting the same load and has named the rifle "Bang Flop"

Good luck

Jeff

PS: that's the rifle below with a bull taken with this very load.

I like the H 50 BMG powder in my 30/378s (112 to 115 grains) with the Fed 215s. the big cases
have lots of room and I prefer 98 to 100% case density.

I also had good luck with Retumbo at 98 to 103 grains.

These loads ,like all loads should be approached from starting charges.

My best group from the big 30 was .092 5 shots @ 100 yards, using 117 grains of H 50 BMG
and 200 grain barns triple shocks. (WARNING This is near max load).

Just a couple of other powders to try.

J E CUSTOM

Retumbo, H1000, Magnum, H50bmg, in that order depending on what's easiest to find. Definently Fed215s. You may wanna try the 200 or 215 hybrid if you can find them or the 210 accubond lr, they aren't as seating depth sensitive. All of the powders listed are extreme powders so they aren't sensative, magnum is a ball powder but very stable.

I followed Broz"s advise but used the 215 grain Bergers. I used RCBS Dies and loaded 96-97 and 98 grains of H1000. Fed 215 match primers, OAL of 3.80... These fit my magazine. This was in a well used Accumark. The 98 grain load shot great so I didn't try going up or any other seating depths. The original load was 180 grains with bmg powder. The guy I got the used gun from wasn't the greatest at keeping it clean and it had carbon deposits when I got it. Even after getting it clean it would not shoot his load at standard length with good accuracy probably because of throat erosion. Broz's load was a great load for this gun...dgarrett

Maybe someone closer to you knows where to find some but I find them regularly in Helena.. dgarrett

Good day today! Found 400 rounds of 210 berger VLDs, 2lbs of H-1000, and 4000 federal match 215m primers! It took all day on the net and phone but I'm good to load now! Thank you all for your help!

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.