30-378 reloading?

Hello. I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while now.

I have been reloading for a number of years, but recently began having trouble with my .30-378 loads. Specifically, when I attempt to seat the bullet, it is so loose I can almost pull it back out with my fingers.

I thought it may be a problem with my sizing die, and replaced it with a new one, only to have the problem continue to occur.

I am using Redding type S bushing neck sizing dies. My brass is Weatherby brass, and I have cycled (shot) the brass 3 times now. I first experienced the problem trying to seat Barnes TSX bullets, and also experience it using Nosler bullets.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. BTW, I load several types of .30's, and do not experience this with my other loads.

Any advice? If additional information helps, and I have omitted it, please ask.

With the bushing dies you need to use the right bushing or your neck tension will be out of whack. Every lot of brass has different neck thickness so you'll need to neck turn or use different bushings to match each lot of brass. Measure a loaded round to get the final outside neck diameter and then use a bushing .002-.003 smaller. Assuming you remembered to put the bushing in there I would guess that your current batch of brass has fairly thin necks.

Thank you for your reply. I now have a few more questions -

How do I know (or determine) which size bushing came with the factory dies?

I measured the neck diameter of some of my old 1x loaded rounds. A 20 round sample was 100% .333 These are my reference bullets.

I measured the neck diameter of the six (6) I was able to successfully load this morning and the smallest average diameter was .332

If I understand correctly, I simply subtract 0.001" from the cartridge that had the smallest average measurement, to allow for a slight amount of spring back and create a proper press fit for the bullet. That means I should buy a bushing of .331. Correct?

Redding's website says .001, you say .002 - .003

Should I bracket this .331, and also buy a .330 and a .332? Or .329, .328 using your guidance?

Thank you again for your help. Thoughts?

Open up the top of the die and you'll see where the bushing sits. Redding dies don't come with bushings so if you haven't installed one that would explain why your necks aren't getting sized properly. Most people like .001-.002" neck tension and you'll get a small amount of spring back when you pull the brass out of the bushing. The amount of spring back will vary with the ductility of your brass but it's in the neighborhood of .001". I'd try a bushing .002" smaller to begin with and if that's not enough you can go .003".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.