30-378 reloading?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I have a bunch of Weatherby factory loaded 180g BT's. I want to pull these and reload a bullet that is more friendly to big game. My question is, does anyone know what powder Weatherby used in the original load? Is it worth saving when I pull the BT's?

Seems like a waste of a lot of powder to just dump it. I am probably going to pull 100 of these. I am planning on reloading w/ 180 E-Tips, and if that does not work well I will use 200 Accubonds. Planning to start out using Retumbo, H-1000 as the second choice.

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Steve

I doubt anyone knows for sure but.....the two bullets you want to load are going to make more pressure than normal 180's. So....if you want to use the powder I'd weigh about 5 of the loads and average them. Then with the 180 e tip I'd use the same powder at about 4% less charge and the 200 ab's at about 6% less charge. Then I'd work up slightly by using a chrono. The factory wby 30-378 that I checked years ago over the chrono were doing only about 3300 with 180's..you should be able to get near that with the e tips. I think about 3150-3200 will be the desired ceiling with the ab's.
BTW---you will probably have to resize the neck area to have good neck tension to hold the new bullets.

I was planning to re size the brass before reloading. I just thought the powder may be worth saving. Was not planning on re-using it in the new loads. I plan on using the Retumbo. If there is no way to identify what it is I will just throw it away.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

I was at the range the other day and let a guy run some 30-378 loads through my chonograpgh (Oehler 35P). They were 3500+ (180's) through a Mark V with no pressure signs. FWIW

WHEW...3500 IS SMOKIN. I can't go over 3400 in my gun without seeing extractor marks. At 3450 my primer pockets are gone in 2-3 loadings. Every gun is different but if he has a 26" barrel I can't believe his primer pockets are lasting at 3500.
From what I've heard the 180 e tip is a pressure maker...that's why I recomended a ceiling of 3300. I've read a few posts where the 180 e tip users are using the same grains as a 200 grain loading and calling it max.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I have noticed the pressure loading the 180 E-tip in my 30-338. I don't think a guy will get the velocity out of the 180 E-tip like other 180's, but the bc's are so good it out weighs the slight loss in speed.

With this 30-378 I am looking for that magic bullet that is good for antelope to buffalo, close to far. lol Seriously though, the E-tip seems to be the closest thing I have found so far. The load that I want to load for this rifle I plan on keeping fairly mild. I am looking for accuracy and performance out to the 700 ish range.

So, back to the original question. Does anyone know what powder is used in the factory 30-378 180g ballistic tip Weatherby ammo? I hate to throw it out if it could be used at a later date.

Thanks again,

Steve

I don't blame you for wanting to know. the way I figure it you'll get about 1.3 #'s out of 100 cases. One other thing to be careful is...are the ammo all the same lot #? Could be possible that they might not be loaded identical. I have an idea to offer you if you like. Chrono a couple of shells and then when pulling the remainder down you can average how many grains per shell. I can run the idea past quick load and probably give you a pretty good estimate of what powder it "mirrors". Bottom line is even if you knew what powder it was different lots of the same powder can be off 4-5%. I would surely think it couldn't be faster than re22 and most likely a powder more like re25 or H1000.

I think you are right. I will probably just dump it. It just seems like such a waste.

Is there lot #'s on the factory ammo boxes? Ha, I just can't let it go can I?

Thanks,

Steve

I wouldn't dump it myself but the choice is yours. As a measure of consistancy you could check one shell from ea box and see ifthey are loaded with the same amount. (This would work in lieu of finding lot numbers.)
I think with a little knowlege to start quick load would give us a very close answer.

OK, deal. I will get a velocity reading from a couple, and charge weight from ea. box. When I do I will post again on this thread.

Thanks,

Steve

as far as i know, the powder used by weatherby is not available on the market. it is a mixture of powders. i can understand using the powder you will salvage, but there is one powder you may want to try. I load for a .300 weatherby and will try this powder when i get my rifle back from the gunsmith. Hornady released the superperformance powder which they claim will give "better than weatherby" performance. like the weatherby ammo, superperformance is a mixture of powders.

I would shoot them and have perfectly fire formed brass. Yes out of an overbore cartridge it's a lot on a gun but for most hunting the b tip will be a solid performer. I have used them in africa on everything plains game and the cats. They preform great and it seems like the simplest and least expensive solution, so unless u r shooting bear or perhaps moose you may want to change otherwise I would shoot and start with great brass that you can bump properly and start load dev with properly sized brass for your chamber.
Good luck either way a lot of good advise here.
D

I would use retumbo and 200 AB I get 3300 out of my gun and a three shot average of .6
for the 180 partitions I use H4831 and get the same result for a group but I have never shot it over my chrono. Keep us posted how your doing.

LT

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.