Reloading 101

Beautiful shop but I think you're going to need more bench space. I like sitting at a desk to do powder and bullet seating. Standing gets old fast. Beautiful work.
Thanks Glide! The photo with the black slat wall is where the bench will go. I ordered a butcher block top that keeps getting delayed, but is now coming Monday. It will be about 8'6" and will be open below so stools can be used. I'll get shelves, bins, etc for the slat wall once I have a better understanding of how I want to organize things.

Well most already gave you great advice so far. Here are just MHO on some stuff.
Brass. King dingaling is ALPHA BRASS
Next is Lapua. For me I always look for Alpha brass first but if not available it's Lapua and I'm still very happy.
Primers . FEDERAL,CCI, WINCHESTER AND REMINGTON.
POWDER thrower. Supertrickler. I recently got mine and I am in love. Can't begin to think how I got along without one. It's stupid amazingly stupendous fan freaking fantastic.
Powder. Seems more powders are coming available as of late. Except unicorn pixy dust RL26 and H4895.
Bullets depend on your usage and barrel twist.
Presses. I recently got a Redding T7 with Creedmoor sports head a
nd its fantastic. Also wanted a single stage press to add to my big bench and got RCBS SUMMIT and love it so far.
If you go full progressive it's Dillon. Best customer service period. Had a xl650 and well. Cant talk about that. It still hurts tremendously.

Best of luck it's a fun ride

I used a RCBS kit for decades, at least three of them, and their equipment has proven sufficient for almost anything. I still own the original press, can't even tell you the model, it was before the Rock Chucker, and it still functions flawlessly. I also use a Forster Co-ax now, I've had it around five years and I really like it. Once you get your dies set with their lock rings changing dies cannot be easier. I have a RCBS electronic powder dispenser and scale, and it has worked great for me. Several priming tools, and they all function as intended. I would encourage you to buy quality measuring devices. I hesitate to call them calipers, my machinist friend that built parts for the space shuttle has rebuked me enough for calling them that, but that's another story. Midway calls them calipers, and I bought a set that cost close to $200. I really only load one rifle for what you asked the question about, and I have a set of Whidden dies, click adjustment resizing die, and micrometer seating die. Those along with my scale, and doing my part I can bang steel with little to no problem in the right conditions at 1000 yards with this setup. I will also say I am not a high volume shooter or loader, so that might come into play with your question. I hunt Colorado for elk, Kansas and Oklahoma for whitetail, and coyotes and bobcats. Everything else is just plinking around at generally less than 500 yards, and rimfires for plinking and small game. The guys that shoot A LOT will definitely be able to help you if that's what you do, if you're just looking to get your stuff to shoot really well, but not that often you can probably save yourself a few dollars with some of the less expensive gear.

Makes perfect sense. I probably shoot 600- 1000 long range rounds per year, as does my buddy, but our frequency of shooting seems to keep increasing, especially with the property we have access to in PA now. It's about a two hour drive and has a cabin, so we usually go for a day and a half each time. I can shoot 200 yards out the back of my barn, so guns are fouled, sighted in, and chronographed before we go to PA. I hunt elk as well in N/W Colorado, but last couple years have been with the bow. Whitetail in Ohio and PA.

If y'all are curious, below is my current list, based on the feedback in this strand and some resulting searching. Short Action Customs (SAC) is a little over an hour from me. They are currently building me a couple rifles and make reloading components so I am going to talk to them when they get back from the SHOT Show.

Manuals (from bullet manufacturer)
  • Lyman
  • Berger
https://www.longrangeonly.com/7mm-prc-cartridge-guide/

Loading:
  • Press- Area 419
  • Dies – Redding, Forster
    • Hornady lock rings?
  • Shell holders
    • Redding competition shell holders
  • Funnel set
    • Area 419
    • hornady aluminum kit with all the end caps
  • Primal Rights CPS (primer seater)
  • v4 autotrickler or supertrickler w/ scale
    • A&D scale?
  • Hornady comparator gauges
  • Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Bolt Action
  • Dymo labeler
  • MTM ammo boxes (or similar)
  • OAL guage

Case prep
  • Tumbler- Dillion CV-750
  • Calipers- Mituyoto (sp?)
  • Case trimmer- Henderson Precision Gen 3 Case Trimmer
  • Case prep center
  • single LEE Decapping die
  • VERNIER BALL MICROMETER

Parts
  • Brass
    • Lapua
  • Powder
    • H1000
    • Rotumbo
    • N565
    • N570
    • N160,165
  • Bullets
    • 300 PRC- 215 gr Berger
    • 7 PRC- 180 berger hybrids, 180 ELDM, 175 Berger elite hunter, 175 accubond, 195 EOL
  • Primer
    • CCI, whatever is available, matches…
  • Bins/ shelves

Other
  • AMP annealer?
    • Ugly annealer (also makes head space gauges and bullet comparator)
  • Wet tumbler?

Component resources:
ammoseek
shootingbot
scheels
bluecollarreloading - if i need something i look here first. fast shipping and really good prices
midsouthshooterssupply
natchezss
and the big guys - midway, brownells, bass pro

Youtube Channels with good how-to's:
F Class John
Eric Cortina
Long Range Only
Panhandle Precision

Well most already gave you great advice so far. Here are just MHO on some stuff.
Brass. King dingaling is ALPHA BRASS
Next is Lapua. For me I always look for Alpha brass first but if not available it's Lapua and I'm still very happy.
Primers . FEDERAL,CCI, WINCHESTER AND REMINGTON.
POWDER thrower. Supertrickler. I recently got mine and I am in love. Can't begin to think how I got along without one. It's stupid amazingly stupendous fan freaking fantastic.
Powder. Seems more powders are coming available as of late. Except unicorn pixy dust RL26 and H4895.
Bullets depend on your usage and barrel twist.
Presses. I recently got a Redding T7 with Creedmoor sports head a
nd its fantastic. Also wanted a single stage press to add to my big bench and got RCBS SUMMIT and love it so far.
If you go full progressive it's Dillon. Best customer service period. Had a xl650 and well. Cant talk about that. It still hurts tremendously.

Best of luck it's a fun ride
Based on all the primers you use, I suspect you have some you want to sell? ;)

I ordered the supertrickler with scale last night. Great to hear she's been that good to you!

Based on all the primers you use, I suspect you have some you want to sell? ;)

I ordered the supertrickler with scale last night. Great to hear she's been that good to you!
Supertrickler is better than good. Join Facebook Supertrickler group. Seriously it's a great resource.
You are gonna need your order number to join. Seriously

Wish I had more primers.

Your list is amazing. Like literally amazing.
Get the AMP annealer latest version. I want one too but it's gonna have to wait a bit.

When I started handloading more than 30 years ago, I worked in a GS at the time doing gunsmithing piece work behind the scenes.
Lots of reloading gear was on the shelves, but secondhand stuff was coming in all the time, then a brand new RockChucker kit was returned, reason unknown, and I got the package deal for under $200AUD, which was a bargain.
I used that kit, and a Partner press also, for some time, as newer and larger models were developed, I upgraded, sold the RockChucker and Partner presses and bought a RockChucker Supreme, RCBS Turret, RCBS AmmoMaster, Redding T7 Turret and both versions of the Redding Big Boss presses, and a Dillon for my 45, 223 and 308 IPSC stuff. Used my Dad's shotgun loader from the age of 8 and did so right up to 2020.
My number one advise is to "Buy once, cry once", I bought all of those presses thinking one would have some function or other benefit better than the previous one, I also had an Arbor press for a very short time, but the ammo was no better that what I was making on any of the other presses mentioned, so I sold it, and the straight line dies and never looked back.
As to dies, I have custom dies, stock dies, and honed stock FL dies or body dies from Redding, Forster, Lyman and RCBS. Die manufacturers I stay away from are Hornady and Lee. I have a Lee set for my 300RUM and it is a difficult set to adjust and get things right, Hornady dies, especially the Custom Grade (horse muck) dies are absolute junk! I have had both types, normal and nitrided, and they just break because the hardening is brittle.

Cheers.
Interesting about the Hornady Custom Grade. I'm a new hand loader and I picked up the hornady lock n load classic press and custom grade dies for my 280 AI. I could not get the full length sizing die with .309 bushing to fully size the neck or set back the shoulder. It always left some of the neck unsized. I used their shell holder too and set the press to bottom on it. So I bought a Redding type s bushing die and that fixed that. I have no clue why hornady didn't work other than they are designed for as longer chamber. The micrometer seater die that comes with the set has performed much better.

I just finished a workshop room in my barn (it is conditioned) and I am excited to finally get into reloading. Initially, I am going to focus on my hunting and LR rifles (all magnum) cartridges, with a focus on precision. Efficiency is fine, but not at the expense of precision. 556, 9mm, 45 auto, etc is inexpensive enough that I don't know that I'll ever reload for it, but who knows. I've been saving all my brass for years regardless.

I have been researching online and sifting through past forums, but am struggling to understand what all I should buy and discerning between different manufacturers and options.

I am a firm believer in "buy the best you can afford" and am blessed to have a fairly liberal budget (especially when it comes to guns and shooting!).

My request to those willing is to help me build a list of the best tools and components I can. I want to get this right the first time and set myself up for success.

I don't even know enough to form a complete list, but here are a few of the questions I think I should ask:
- Initial loads would be for 7mm RM, 7 PRC, 300 PRC, 300 Norma
- Best press? So far, my research has me leaning towards the Area 419 Zero Press. All I can find is the 7/8" turret, no hybrids, but thinking maybe that would be fine.
- What brand/ type of dies?
- What powders should I be trying?
- Shell holders??
- Tumblers
- Trimmers
- Brass
- Primers
- Scales/ measuring
- Funnel
- Best reload manual/ guide
- What else would I need?

I realize this is a big ask, and appreciate those with experience helping me. I know once I get started, a lot of this will make more sense and I am looking forward to the learning experience and the shooting that goes along with the load development.
You're just starting out. Keep it simple, but good. Lots of reloading manuals, then read them.
A rockchucker press, a good powder measure ( I use a Redding balance beam) . A good powder measure, again I use Redding. As far as dies, Forster is my preferred for rifles. I buy the same brand of shell holder as my dies.
Start simple, You can make great ammunition without overthinking or over complicating things. Add thing as you want, as you get more comfortable reloading. Get good calipers and a case trimmer.

Makes perfect sense. I probably shoot 600- 1000 long range rounds per year, as does my buddy, but our frequency of shooting seems to keep increasing, especially with the property we have access to in PA now. It's about a two hour drive and has a cabin, so we usually go for a day and a half each time. I can shoot 200 yards out the back of my barn, so guns are fouled, sighted in, and chronographed before we go to PA. I hunt elk as well in N/W Colorado, but last couple years have been with the bow. Whitetail in Ohio and PA.

If y'all are curious, below is my current list, based on the feedback in this strand and some resulting searching. Short Action Customs (SAC) is a little over an hour from me. They are currently building me a couple rifles and make reloading components so I am going to talk to them when they get back from the SHOT Show.

Manuals (from bullet manufacturer)
  • Lyman
  • Berger
https://www.longrangeonly.com/7mm-prc-cartridge-guide/

Loading:
  • Press- Area 419
  • Dies – Redding, Forster
    • Hornady lock rings?
  • Shell holders
    • Redding competition shell holders
  • Funnel set
    • Area 419
    • hornady aluminum kit with all the end caps
  • Primal Rights CPS (primer seater)
  • v4 autotrickler or supertrickler w/ scale
    • A&D scale?
  • Hornady comparator gauges
  • Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gauge Bolt Action
  • Dymo labeler
  • MTM ammo boxes (or similar)
  • OAL guage

Case prep
  • Tumbler- Dillion CV-750
  • Calipers- Mituyoto (sp?)
  • Case trimmer- Henderson Precision Gen 3 Case Trimmer
  • Case prep center
  • single LEE Decapping die
  • VERNIER BALL MICROMETER

Parts
  • Brass
    • Lapua
  • Powder
    • H1000
    • Rotumbo
    • N565
    • N570
    • N160,165
  • Bullets
    • 300 PRC- 215 gr Berger
    • 7 PRC- 180 berger hybrids, 180 ELDM, 175 Berger elite hunter, 175 accubond, 195 EOL
  • Primer
    • CCI, whatever is available, matches…
  • Bins/ shelves

Other
  • AMP annealer?
    • Ugly annealer (also makes head space gauges and bullet comparator)
  • Wet tumbler?

Component resources:
ammoseek
shootingbot
scheels
bluecollarreloading - if i need something i look here first. fast shipping and really good prices
midsouthshooterssupply
natchezss
and the big guys - midway, brownells, bass pro

Youtube Channels with good how-to's:
F Class John
Eric Cortina
Long Range Only
Panhandle Precision
Since you're going deluxe on everything, you should look into a Giraud case trimmer.

+1 on Dillion. I have a 650 and it spits out lots o ammo.

You'll need to drill and tap fire formed cases for the Hornady OAL gauge. You don't have to do this, but it works better when you do.

I'm a big fan of the wet tumbler, but I also use a traditional tumbler with walnut media on occasion. I like to pop the primer out and then clean my brass with the wet tumbler. Does it make a difference, not sure, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing my primer pockets are clean.

You'll also want to get a flash hole deburring tool, primer pocket uniformer, and chamfer/deburring tool. Even if you shoot the fancy brass, you need to have these on your bench. I'm not super familiar with the 419 press (other than the price)…does it have a way to prime the brass? If not, you'll need to get a primer tool. I've used the hand operated RCBS unit for thousands of rounds. Works every time.

Get yourself a torque wrench/driver that operates in inch/pounds. Wheeler tools make good devices. You'll be able to properly torque action screws, scope screws, etc. You'll need a tool to level your scopes. Wheeler makes one. Lately, I've been using a scope square.

All this fancy loading equipment ain't worth squat if you don't have a chronograph. Get the Garmin. You'll also need a ballistics app and a kestrel.

Yes, get an annealer.

Spotting scope helps to see where you're hitting on the target and/or watching a buddy hit the target. Get a good tripod.

You'll need a nice bipod And shooting mat for prone position shooting.

Cleaning. You'll need some kind of rifle cradle for cleaning. Get good cleaning rods. I like Tipton products.

Since you're going deluxe on everything, you should look into a Giraud case trimmer.

+1 on Dillion. I have a 650 and it spits out lots o ammo.

You'll need to drill and tap fire formed cases for the Hornady OAL gauge. You don't have to do this, but it works better when you do.

I'm a big fan of the wet tumbler, but I also use a traditional tumbler with walnut media on occasion. I like to pop the primer out and then clean my brass with the wet tumbler. Does it make a difference, not sure, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing my primer pockets are clean.

You'll also want to get a flash hole deburring tool, primer pocket uniformer, and chamfer/deburring tool. Even if you shoot the fancy brass, you need to have these on your bench. I'm not super familiar with the 419 press (other than the price)…does it have a way to prime the brass? If not, you'll need to get a primer tool. I've used the hand operated RCBS unit for thousands of rounds. Works every time.

Get yourself a torque wrench/driver that operates in inch/pounds. Wheeler tools make good devices. You'll be able to properly torque action screws, scope screws, etc. You'll need a tool to level your scopes. Wheeler makes one. Lately, I've been using a scope square.

All this fancy loading equipment ain't worth squat if you don't have a chronograph. Get the Garmin. You'll also need a ballistics app and a kestrel.

Yes, get an annealer.

Spotting scope helps to see where you're hitting on the target and/or watching a buddy hit the target. Get a good tripod.

You'll need a nice bipod And shooting mat for prone position shooting.

Cleaning. You'll need some kind of rifle cradle for cleaning. Get good cleaning rods. I like Tipton products.
Thanks FFF! Good suggestions on the reload equipment. I'll check them out. If/ when I get into quantity calibers, it sounds like the Dillon 750 is the ticket.

I'm pretty well equipped on the shooting side. I have the Garmin Zero (and a Caldwell that will not likely be used again), good prone mats, Front rest, bipods, tripods, spotting scope, and cleaning set-up. I've been using the Sig 5000k binoculars and their ballistic app on the range, and the Sig 2400ABS on hunts. I also have the Wheeler Fat Wrench, lots of bits, and the scope leveling tool. The only thing I may add is another leveling system that Short Action Custom makes. I haven't seen it yet but have heard good things about it.

Thanks Old Rooster. I've put in for notifications on a couple spots but will definitely keep an eye on shootingbot and sign up with LGS (assuming I can google that and figure out what it is!)
I would suggest trying a few Estate auctions or auction houses when they sell reloading supplies. A lot of places that auction firearms will sell components also. Just be sure what you're buying. Not all boxes may be full. You can usually tell a good auctioneer marks the amount on the box. You can also pick up powders brass & bullets. But again be sure what you're buying. And is the best place to buy literature. I got numerous reloading books for less than one I have paid for in store.