Reloading 101

Your equipment list is top notch. Instead of the Lee recapping unit I run the Frankfort Arsenal hand depriming tool.

I have used the Lee decapping die for many years but it has to be screwed in and out.It also allows debre on the press and has to be cleaned.
I too an looking at the F A decapping system.

I have used the Lee decapping die for many years but it has to be screwed in and out.It also allows debre on the press and has to be cleaned.
I too an looking at the F A decapping system.
Any thoughts on this video ? Just curious if his tests hold any value ?

-What press? The new SAC press is very nice. The Hood press is about as good as it gets when it comes to consistency. The 419 press is way over rated IMO. Rockchucker is old reliable.
- What brand/ type of dies? I like Bullet Central Micron dies. Whidden/Redding works well also.
- What powders should I be trying? Vv, Alliant, Hodgdon
- Shell holders?? I like to use the Redding Competetion shell holders to get the desired shoulder bump I want.
- Tumblers..Lyman, Frankford Aresenal
- Trimmers...Giraud or Henderson
- Brass Lapua
- Primers CCI/Federal whatever shoots best in your rifle.
- Scales/ measuring...Prometheus is still the best IMO....Ingenuity is coming out with a new powder thrower that pairs with the A&D FX120i or the Sartorius Entris very nicely.
- Funnel...Satern funnels work well for me.
- Best reload manual/ guide....about all powder manufacturers offer some sort of online reloading guide.

I just finished a workshop room in my barn (it is conditioned) and I am excited to finally get into reloading. Initially, I am going to focus on my hunting and LR rifles (all magnum) cartridges, with a focus on precision. Efficiency is fine, but not at the expense of precision. 556, 9mm, 45 auto, etc is inexpensive enough that I don't know that I'll ever reload for it, but who knows. I've been saving all my brass for years regardless.

I have been researching online and sifting through past forums, but am struggling to understand what all I should buy and discerning between different manufacturers and options.

I am a firm believer in "buy the best you can afford" and am blessed to have a fairly liberal budget (especially when it comes to guns and shooting!).

My request to those willing is to help me build a list of the best tools and components I can. I want to get this right the first time and set myself up for success.

I don't even know enough to form a complete list, but here are a few of the questions I think I should ask:
- Initial loads would be for 7mm RM, 7 PRC, 300 PRC, 300 Norma
- Best press? So far, my research has me leaning towards the Area 419 Zero Press. All I can find is the 7/8" turret, no hybrids, but thinking maybe that would be fine.
- What brand/ type of dies?
- What powders should I be trying?
- Shell holders??
- Tumblers
- Trimmers
- Brass
- Primers
- Scales/ measuring
- Funnel
- Best reload manual/ guide
- What else would I need?

I realize this is a big ask, and appreciate those with experience helping me. I know once I get started, a lot of this will make more sense and I am looking forward to the learning experience and the shooting that goes along with the load development.
First of all I think that there are a lot of things that you can spend your money on that are opinion related but for my part aren't practical, I'm still using the first press I got in the 70s that's a Herters c type open to the front it's really handy for light work, then several years ago I bought an RCBS rockchucker it's great then I added a Redding turret press I found at an estate sale for a cheap price. I've found that if it accurate and faster is better so I got a lyman case prep center I really like it. I have an rcbs depriming dies but my wife bought me a Frankford Arsenal depriming tool so far this thing is great. A powder measurer that's fast and accurate will be my next investment. As many of the others have when it comes to tools buy once cry once. Midsouth is my go to then midway

if it hasnt been mentioned, get a journal and a couple pens/pencil you like
i hate taking notes but it is a must for reloading imo. especially when you do your oal guage lengths and all that. digital would be good too but writing is just easier for me and takes less space

on primers, you want the magnums.(250, 9-1/2m,215) all your calibers you listed are mags. so all the books with loads will be made using mag primers

also for the lee decapper there are upgraded pins on amazon. hardened steel with more of a taper at the point. but i too have been eyeing the FA hand deprimer

Thanks guys. Great feedback.

Amazon made quick work of the Lyman handbook and Berger handbook. Hornady is coming as well. For the bullets I plan to use initially, that should be a good start. So far, both books have all my rounds except the 7 PRC. The Hornady version will have that.

I ordered the FA hand deprimer based on the feedback here and other forum threads comparing options.

I ordered some Fed 215m and CCi 250 primers from GB. I hate to support the guys who are buying out stores and jacking up prices, but I need something to start with until availability improves. (RL 26 can be found if you want to pay $100/ lb. I think I'll see how the H1000 or Retumbo works!)

One question that I am still working on is a prep center. Seems like a good tool but does anyone have any experience with any they'd recommend?

If I run into any of you at a bar, beers on me.

One question that I am still working on is a prep center. Seems like a good tool but does anyone have any experience with any they'd recommend?

The Giraud will take care trim/chamfer/deburr....I don't brush case necks (some do). A K&M primer pocket uniformer will take of the primer pockets.

Thanks guys. Great feedback.

Amazon made quick work of the Lyman handbook and Berger handbook. Hornady is coming as well. For the bullets I plan to use initially, that should be a good start. So far, both books have all my rounds except the 7 PRC. The Hornady version will have that.

I ordered the FA hand deprimer based on the feedback here and other forum threads comparing options.

I ordered some Fed 215m and CCi 250 primers from GB. I hate to support the guys who are buying out stores and jacking up prices, but I need something to start with until availability improves. (RL 26 can be found if you want to pay $100/ lb. I think I'll see how the H1000 or Retumbo works!)

If I run into any of you at a bar, beers on me.
GB?

as in a brass prep center? rcbs brass boss

-What press? The new SAC press is very nice. The Hood press is about as good as it gets when it comes to consistency. The 419 press is way over rated IMO. Rockchucker is old reliable.
- What brand/ type of dies? I like Bullet Central Micron dies. Whidden/Redding works well also.
- What powders should I be trying? Vv, Alliant, Hodgdon
- Shell holders?? I like to use the Redding Competetion shell holders to get the desired shoulder bump I want.
- Tumblers..Lyman, Frankford Aresenal
- Trimmers...Giraud or Henderson
- Brass Lapua
- Primers CCI/Federal whatever shoots best in your rifle.
- Scales/ measuring...Prometheus is still the best IMO....Ingenuity is coming out with a new powder thrower that pairs with the A&D FX120i or the Sartorius Entris very nicely.
- Funnel...Satern funnels work well for me.
- Best reload manual/ guide....about all powder manufacturers offer some sort of online reloading guide.
Do you know the cost for the Prometheus ?

@Mickp7
I don't know if you got you brass trimmer sorted out but the micrometer style Wilson is all I have ran. It's a great trimmer. You do need caliber specific case holders for it as well.
Here's one it the classified: