Reloader 33 (Alliant) for "lesser" calibers [than 338]?

Bass,
Maybe my chamber is bigger than yours, but I can squeeze 79.5gr with a 4" drop tube and tapping the case a bit. It does crunch when seating bullets but they do stay in place once seated
I should have worded that differently...it'll fit, but the bullets push out too much

ive got a match chamber and only .003 of neck tension...i can get 79.5 in the case too. I might consider testing more, but they are shooting too good to mess with

After looking here for a while and not finding much info on RL33 and the 264 Win Mag I decided to test for myself. I just got done loading 5 different powder charges for my Winchester model 70 sporter with a 26" barrel. I will try to go out tomorrow and see how they do.

I started at 68 grains RL33 under a 140 Berger VLD and loaded in 1 grain increments to 72 grains. I decided to load this way because 68 grains is my load with Retumbo and it shoots 2 shots touching and then throws one every time. Which is good but I would like to see if I could get three to touch (or close) :D I will chrono results for the RL33 loads as well as the Retumbo load as I have not done that yet.

I wanted to revive this thread because I really like my 264 and hope to get some info from others. I will post results after I go to the range. Thanks

I have been waiting to hear about R-33 in a large capacity 6.5???? I owned two .264 Win Mags before I became a 6.5 WSM proponent. I still haven't heard any velocity data. Lots of threats but no follow through. Please post!!!

Branwill,

I am interested in hearing how you make out with that.

I also shoot a 26" barrel M70 but in 7mmRemMag with 168gr Accubond LR's.

I settled on 79.3gr of RL-33 for 3,128Fps. It will touch rounds if I have my act together that day.

It is a 106% compression load. I seat the bullets with a bit of a crunch but the bullets stay in place.

Glad I found this tread, good info here! I just aquirred my first pound of RL 33, an have been wondering what it does in a 7 mag an 300 win mag(just got this rifle) I'm gonna shoot 160's to 180's in the 7 mag an 180's to 210's in the 300 win mag. I too would appreciate the info!! Didn't meen to hijack, (sorry) just lookin for good info!

DT

This guy has achieved over 3300 fps with his 264 I believe. here is a load he has settled on at 3250. Gonna try it in my 264 soon.

My best .264 Winchester Magnum load - 24hourcampfire

That was a very good read! I have some RL-33, but haven't had the chance to work with it yet. I am looking forward to doing that even more after seeing those results. I am already very fond of my .264WM. It looks like RL-33 could make it even better.

Branwill,

I am interested in hearing how you make out with that.

I also shoot a 26" barrel M70 but in 7mmRemMag with 168gr Accubond LR's.

I settled on 79.3gr of RL-33 for 3,128Fps. It will touch rounds if I have my act together that day.

It is a 106% compression load. I seat the bullets with a bit of a crunch but the bullets stay in place.

Hi guys, I am sorry it took so long to re-post here but I just got out 2 days ago to finally shoot these loads. It looks like I need to increase the load and try in 1 grain increments up to 76 grains like the guy on the campfire post. I will try to get out and do that in the next day or so. It shows promise as my 72 grain load produced 3127 FPS to 3152 FPS in four shots. Like I mentioned before this was in my Winchester Model 70 with a pre 64 action and 26 inch barrel. I tested at 100 yards. First two shots were touching and the next two opened up a little. Still under a half inch at 100 yards with a 140 Berger hunting VLD. I am excited to see what I can get with 73-76 grains. I will post my results soon. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.