338 Rum reloader 33

338RUML

did some shooting today
300 SMK 3.675 OAL (Max mag length)
99.5 grains of reloader 33 (compressed)
WLRM primer
Remmy brass
6 inch spread with an average velocity of 2725 2732 high and 2714 low.. No pressure signs.. Not impressed going to try 100.5 grains see if it tightens,

225 Barnes ttsx
90gr retumbo
3.675 OAL
Same as above

First shot was 3" away from group next three were a .5 inch group and the last was 2 inches in the same direction as he first,, up. 2944 max 2856 2828 low. ( that's a over a 100 fps spread)
Any thoughts or opinions would be cool thanks

In my experience with Reloader 33 in my .338 Edge, the ogive has to be close to the lands to group well. I'm running them at .005" off and it does great, but when I seat the bullets deeper, the groups begin to open up.

Reloader 33 was for heavy bullets .......300 gr in the Lapua

Reloader 26 is for 250's in the Lapua

Shooting an Ultra Mag I realize it was probably intended more for the larger capacity 338's but it lists load data for the 338 ultra so I'm giving it a go in my ultra mag just to see how it does I will be switching from the SMK's and going with the Berbers because that's what i want to be shooting and hunting with better BC built for hunting and match not just match shooting, going with a charge of 101 grains of R33 remmy brass WLRM primer any recommendations on seating depth off the lands? Thinking about going 3.800 and seeing how the groups are, he'll I think i will load 24 rounds the way Berger recommends for there VLD's 6 at .030 off and 6 .60 6.90 6.130 thousands off the lands. I feel 101 grains should give me a velocity I'm looking for so i will just be finding the sweet spot. If anybody notices anything that does not sound right or safe feel free to smack me upside the head and say look dumby!! :Dlightbulbgun)

book max shows 99.3 in the rum. When i tried shoving a 300 smk at sammi length and 99.3 grains of reloader 33 it was too compressed and the bullet wouldnt seat that deep.

@ 101 grains you will need to have that bullet out where your describing i would imagine. I would work up to that first, you will probably find your primer pockets wont hold up much past 1 or 2 firings at that charge weight.

I found really good accuracy @ 90.5 grains of reloader 33 & 300 smk @ sammi length of 3.600 but velocity was slow 2625 and that was with a 30 inch barrel. I dont think i could have worked up to max with this rifle without seeing pressure signs early, i settled with retumbo @ 2700 FPS with a COAL 3.795 (single fed). if reloader 33 doesnt work out check into retumbo, it has proven very stable and accurate for me testing out to 1350 yards.

I shot some loaded at my max mag length (3.675) 99.5 as described above and there was nothing good about it in the form of accuracy ( no pressure signs what so ever) upped it to 100.5 slightly better group not by much though, changing the seating depth will be the answer here I believe. still no pressure signs yet easy bolt lift no flat primers ejector marks etc they all ran through the sizer as usual primers went in with the same force as before ( I use the rcbs universal hand priming tool) I'm suprised you could not get a bullet in there at Sammi specs then again that's 75 thousanths deeper than I'm loading and you can hear the powder getting crushed as you push that long bugger down in there, I will be watching my brass and counting my reloads obviously brass life is worth more to me than 50-60 fps :D

I have quite a bit of retumbo I still believe in this powder and it has nothing but great reviews, I'm going to try it in my rum. a few years ago we were loading it in the 338/378 weatherby (not sure of the exact load would have to look) but it was within the safe zone, decent velocity with an amazingly tight group that was repeatable. Every 8th-9th shot we would get a flash point the bolt was stiffer than hell and the brass was toast, we then said he'll it's not worth it anymore so we move on and settled with H-1000 and stuck with it since. Long story short not the best experience with retumbo powder other than accuracy

Wow, good to note. I will keep that in my notes about the retumbo. I was going to try H1000 just havent had a chance to try something new.

I too did the seating depth test berger runs on these SMK's and it showed good promise. I just found my max pressure, dropped below 1 grain, and ran the depth test and settled at .050 off. I really like that method they use.

I'm shooting 93.0 grains RL33 with the 300 Berger EH .010" off the lands in my 338 RUM. Velocity is 2750 fps with a 27" barrel. I'm getting sub 1/4 moa accuracy and single digit ES. It's a dandy of a load.

My barrel pressures up fast with any powder... I have tried H-1000, RL-25 and RL-33, and they all reach max pressure at published starting loads. This happened with every bullet I shot which included the 225 Accubond/RL25, 250 EH/RL33 & H1000, 285 LRX/RL33, 300 Accubond/RL33 and the 300 EH/RL33 & H1000.

Timber, thats interesting! i too have a hart barrel, and i have mirrored results. i hit pressure WAY before max loads in the books.

im at 89 grains or retumbo, book max is 90.5, i have a very small faint print of ejector print on the case head, primers look good with no cratering or flat edges. primer pocket life has been good thus far (4 firings on RP brass going strong). im right at 2700 FPS with a 30 inch tube. I was very shocked to see pressure signs this early, i too had it with reloader 33.

More shooting
91 grains retumbo Berger 300 eh
Remmy brass wlrm primer
3.800 6 shots horrible accuracy and slow velocity 2680 avg
3.820 6 shots 2 inch group 2690 avg

300 Berger EH reloader 33 101.gr 3.820 3/4" group 2775,2774,2778
I'm happy with velocity no pressure signs whatsoever going to seat to 3.870 and try some more same load and some at 3.800 and see what happens. I'll keep ya posted

285 Barnes tsx 101.g reloader 33 3.770 (.050 off the lands) really compressed just going to see if this shoots these somewhat accurate and also try the same load with the 285 Amax if so I will move forward and order an 8# keg of 33.

I am still breaking in my new Bartlein barrel on my 338 rum. I was getting close to one hole groups with 101 grs of RL33 with 300 gr Berger OTM's and then my speed picked up. I have now backed off my powder charge to 99 grs and I am right around 2825 fps. My 300 gr Accubond is doing about 3/4 inch at this powder charge also. I was safe pressure wise up to 101. I am seating the Bergers to 3.800 and the accubonds to 3.695. The bergers are around .090 off the lands and the accubonds about .020 off the lands. I just got a 8 lb jug of RL33. This barrel isn't real happy so far with H1000, at least not at the velocity node I want. I need to test the Bergers again, but my last two shots were a hole in one and I ran out of shells.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.