Reloader 26/Short Barrels

Love to see the target! Will
Vince here you go no **** this rifle flat out rips . Oregon Mountain rifle barrel 7 prc carbon 22 inch on a savage 116 stainless action factory stock Burris 5-25 x60 signature he glass -Garmin zero chronograph 200 yards 18-23 mph wind in central Mt
Love to see the target! Will

Attachments

• IMG_1046.jpeg
    IMG_1046.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 85
Bean counters running Nosler has really helped Hornady more than they could ever know.
I could find tons of hornady over the last few years but Nosler?? Nope. Don't get it as to why we can find one brand but not the other. I have however been finding seconds of Nosler (accubond that is) to put back in my small stash. I cleaned out the lgs from the hornady interbonds and they haven't seem to get any more back on the shelves. The lgs had shelves full of hornady as well as other lgs and sportsman's warehouse. But no Nosler.

Lance's loads mimic many that shoot the 260 AI. Lance, what brand of brass have found that works well for you with these loads?
I am running Alpha SRP.in my 24", and Alpha LRP in my 20". I wanted to see if there was any difference between the SRP and LRP brass. So far, I haven't seen any difference in performance. We will see if the primer pockets stand up in the LRP as well as the SRP brass.

I am running Alpha SRP.in my 24", and Alpha LRP in my 20". I wanted to see if there was any difference between the SRP and LRP brass. So far, I haven't seen any difference in performance. We will see if the primer pockets stand up in the LRP as well as the SRP brass.
I'd like to try srp's myself might see about ordering some

One test result doesn't necessarily mean proof.

20" .260AI w. 140 Hyb.

46.6gr H4350 (max-slight ejector mark, slight bolt lift), 140 Hyb @ 2951fps
46.2gr H4350 (max safe load), 140 Hyb @ 2911fps
50.0gr RL26 (max due to full case-no pressure), 140 Hyb @ 2997fps

I have a 24" .260AI as well. There is exactly 100fps difference with the exact same loads fired in each. 44.8gr H4350 is my steel load in the 24", and a 140 Hyb @ 2938 (24") vs 2838 (20"). 46.3gr is my hunting load @ 3028fps.
Agreed, one rifle, one barrel, is not conclusive.

However, I am going to run both loads out of my SAKO that has the 24.3 inch barrel and see what happens.

If it is the case that the rl26 load is similar it faster, that would pretty well convince me.

I agree but I've shot my 7 prc with the exact same load and it only gets better my Ruger 7 prc 24 inch barrel is **** near the same I'll stick with it

Until today, I never put any stock into there being better powders for short barrels. I believed that if a listed powder was the fastest when tested in a 24 inch barrel, it would still be the quickest in a shorter tube compared to other powders.

This is not true.

I have been struggling to get velocity out of a 20 inch 300 WSM I just built. Rather than ramble, I'll give you the velocity numbers.

69 grains of reloader 26, 190 Speer Impact, is getting me 2,820 fps.

The load manual says 3,004 fps with a 24 inch barrel. I knew I would lose some velocity but not 184 fps!

So after 60 rounds of this, I finally just try a faster powder. 66.5 grains of Staball 6.5 got me 2,910 fps and less case expansion measured by a micrometer.

Hodgdons load manual says that 66.3 grains of Staball 6.5 should get me to 2,960 fps. in a 24 inch barrel with 61k psi.

So I pushed it a little past max due to a little bit of head room on the pressure and the cases are doing fine. The velocity loss from a 24 to a 20 inch tube isn't even worth mentioning.

Unless anyone with some experience here can give me a better explanation, I'm going with the faster burn rate was what made the difference.
184 fps on 4 inches of barrel is 46 per inch. I would say that's pretty normal. I don't think you have proven much of anything in one test, yet. I have read several guys with decades of experience and testing shooting short barrels recommend using the same or similar powders. I would hardly call it a myth.