Reloader 26 and N570

well. a lot is suppose to be the same. but if you let each one age, you do not KNOW when you get to the last one id it is still the same as whet you started with. with plastic containers and proper storage, most likely not a big deal.
i have mixed just to stay consistent over the life of the amount i had.
in reality it all started in one big lot if the lot number is the same.
backwards ocd
Lol. That's funny on powder.

I have a question. I have never done what you said about mixing all the powder 1 pounds together. Even if it was the same lot number of the same powder. I would be afraid of inconsistency with the powder. That's just me. Part of my OCD I guess with reloading.

well. a lot is suppose to be the same. but if you let each one age, you do not KNOW when you get to the last one id it is still the same as whet you started with. with plastic containers and proper storage, most likely not a big deal.
i have mixed just to stay consistent over the life of the amount i had.
in reality it all started in one big lot if the lot number is the same.
backwards ocd

10/4. I've just never done that on mixing old powder with newer bought powder. I've always just used up all the powder, Then started with fresh powder. If I have had a little bit of old powder left which typically is very little I've just threw it away. Never took a chance. With new powder I'll reload and then check speed and pressure signs associated with new powder. If it the same lot of powder I'm not as precise but I've never mixed powder. Always just used it up and then rechecked. Each his own.

RL26 is a relatively new powder and hasn't been around long enough to become "old" if stored at room temps, the 8lb jug was used for a couple cartridges I've moved on from and now doing load development for several others and mixed 4 cans with the 2lbs that was left in the jug,

the other 4 cans went to two shooting buddies who have looked out for me before and picked up extra cans of N570 and LRT when I couldn't get there

the buddy system of acquiring powder, primer, bullets and brass has been very effective in keeping us supplied, at times if someone is low on funds or between paychecks, one of us steps up and we settle later

what are friends for ?

i hope that was a joke.
single lot, 8 lbs or MORE is a long way from hoarding.
buying one lb and "thinking" the next lot will the exact same thing is folly.
when i found my rl26 i bought 2 of the last 3 8lb's on the USA market.

nothing worse than a "hoarder"

I shot with a guy that tracked down a lot of powder for his bench gun. He bought 64 lbs of it. I usually buy enough powder of one lot to last the barrel.

Lol. That's funny on powder.

I have a question. I have never done what you said about mixing all the powder 1 pounds together. Even if it was the same lot number of the same powder. I would be afraid of inconsistency with the powder. That's just me. Part of my OCD I guess with reloading.

They typically do this with paint, it is called "boxing", mix several or more gallons together to level out the inconsistencies so when you touch up a wall it
s not a different color. During the Obama dry spell I had 14 different number 1lb Retumbo cans, 22 total that I boxed and put back into 8lb containers.
Photographers would do the same thing with film, buy a ton of the same lot for consistent qualities... same with wine.
I hadn't thought of different batches having different degree ranges of temp stability though, speeds yes. The RL 26 and 33 I have goes nuts above ~84F but they are all the same lot from some time ago. The most recent H1000 batch was a LOT faster but still has the high temp stability of the older stuff.
More to think about.

Powder valley has N570. Just bought some. Another member turned me on to the tip. It is not posted on their web page that it's available but if you call them they have it right now. I was not greedy just couple pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.