Reliable tactical hunting scope under $1500, impossible or not?

Agreed on the Athlon Ares ETR fantastic scope for the money and great features. Great glass and the turrets are bulletproof. I have 2 now! My local dealer in Canada had them on for $1650 Canadian just a shade over $1200 US.

I just bought a like new Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 for my new hunting rifle. I'm excited to see how it performs, but it seems like a really good value for the money. They can be found for around $1000 fairly easily.

Without going into great detail to explain my experience in optics testing and evaluation, I can say I've shot just about the hardest recoiling weapons I've ever heard of, with a multitude of glass riding them. I was also part of fixture fire evaluations of the same groups of glass to eliminate operator error and recoil mitigation. To state the obvious, we also broke/rendered inoperable quite a few through recoil events, all in the search for durable, repeatable, and long life cycle optics for US Army sniper systems. From 50cal down thru the exotic cal's, to the short range and mundane, to include offerings of vendors from all over the world. That said, after retirement I've settled on what I've witnessed to be the best proverbial bang for MY buck in glass. That's not to say this particular brand has not failed before, but certainly less than some other glass you can spend more on! I even went so far as to purchased a knowingly damaged rifle scope of this brand off eBay for the sole purpose of returning it to the parent company for free repair/restoration. All my rifles but two wear Leupold MK 4's and above. The exception is only on our gas guns which have 3-9 patrols on them. I can not justify the cost, or weight in some cases of other optic brands. The clarity and real field observation by myself and others have convinced me of my choices. Now this thread is sure to rub someone's pelt the wrong way, so in advance let me apologize by saying 'MY CHOICE' is for the Lepold's. They're like owning a Rolex. They may not be the newest high speed low drag (HSLD) bullet guiders on the circuit today, but they have always delivered my meat hammers to their precise destinations with consistency. You can spend more money on glass, easily. But I'm not remotely convinced your target will know. My petite little 'Huntress' wife would agree. The attached groups were fired by her from Rock Creek barreled gas guns on a measured 600yd range, sighted with Leupold 3-9x patrol's. My advice is get quality glass with a GREAT warranty, a good system with quality ammo, practice,and enjoy the performance🙌🇺🇸View attachment 246214 View attachment 246215
As a former Alaskan guide I've seen a gamut of things when it comes to optics; everything from a $4,000 custom rifle with a Tasco, to guys that paid $20,000 for a 21 day bear hunt that show up with binoculars that were purchased off an infomercial. Good glass isn't cheap, and cheap glass isn't good. It pays to buy the best glass you can afford, and when pondering binoculars, keep in mind you only kill with your rifle, but you hunt with your eyes, you'll be looking through those binoculars way more than through a scope so they should both be of equal quality. As longgun stated when it come time to get one repaired, the Leopold warranty is tough to beat. Due to hard use I have had several fail but they were repaired, and in one case replaced by Leupold at no cost to me.

Yes possible Watch classifieds hereFor out to 1000+ 15-20x will do My Leupold Mark 5 one of my favorite scopes The old Leupy in pict was one there first Tactical black ring Mildot I shot a mountain of animals with that said scope or model just like it The March is nice but over your budget I like the Leupold better,less the weight factor but mines 5-25x56 The 3-18x44 I think it is would be a great hunter scope Picture shows size comparision,bott. 4-14x50,3-24x52,5-25x56

Attachments

• C5DE6E50-4457-437B-85F4-E0C7D3548323.jpeg
    C5DE6E50-4457-437B-85F4-E0C7D3548323.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
I have been beating my brains out for well over two years now researching and trying to chose and buy a tactical capable scope designed specifically for a big game hunting application and keep the cost to as close to between $1300 and preferably $1k. And I have read seemingly COUNTLESS threads and postings now, that scopes that dial that fall in the sub $1500 range equipped with target turrets, zero stop elevation and with reticles either designed specifically for or can also be used for big game hunting costing it would seam under $1500 simply are either not durable enough or not reliable enough to consistently dial accurately and consistently return to zero to be worth buying, especially not on a limited entry big game unit hunt that usually takes years if not over a decade of building PBs to get drawn for.

So is the bitter truth of the matter that simply stated tactical hunting scopes in the $1k to $1500 price point can not be made to be 95%-100% as reliable as those costing $1800- $2k and above? I have read COUNTLESS posting by persons claiming to have owned or owned tactical scopes made by major top players in the rifle scope and optics industries all in the under $2k price range being just not reliable enough to be trusted on a high $$$ guided hunt or a hunt you just used up closer to 20-24 than 15 years worth of BP/PP's getting drawn for.

What's the real reality of tactical style hunting scopes or tactical designed scopes that can also be used for big game hunting?
Is it really must buy March, S&B, Kahles, NF, US Optics etc and spend $1800-$2.5k+++ to get close to the same level of reliability in a tactical dialing scope as in a set-it-and-forget-it scope costing 1/3rd to 1/5th the $$$?
I own seven SIAFI scopes three Vari-XII's, one VX3, a WGS and a two 4200 Elite that all sit atop VERY hard recoiling rifles and turkey guns that each as seen countless hundreds and in the case of my belted magnums and smokeless ML if not well over a 1000 rounds of very harsh recoil and 20+ hard hunting seasons and not one of them has ever (knock on wood) given me so much as a shift in POI of any significance.
Do I really have to spend $1800-$2k to get that level of durability and reliability in a tactical hunting scope? If that's the truth then I just want to know. Not at all complaining just more of a matter of wanting to be properly educated.

Should have been a little clearer I actually own a total of 14 set it and for get it non-tactical style scopes. Three are on IMHO vary harsh recoiling shotguns and four are on harsh to vary harsh recoiling rifles or ML's, three are on IMHO mild recoiling rifles. Two are on 22lr rifles and two are not in use.
Of the ten I have on my centerfire rifles and shotguns none knock on wood ever gave me a single problem.

Only had two scopes ever fail. Both were red dots both were killed during their first use while getting sighted in at the gun range by my 12ga 3.5" turkey guns both croaked out in less than 10 shots each. They are actually the ONLY optics I've ever had fail me. Both were not el-cheapo $49.99 red dots but Cabela's branded shotgun turkey scopes.
After that went to my Leupold VariX-II 2-7x33 shotgun scopes for two of my dedicated turkey guns and a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on the third turkey gun.
We're both red dots knock offs or in bad shape, or was it just bad luck?

I've been shooting 3.5 mag turkey and goose loads for years and I've never busted an optic.
How did they break btw?

As for your rifle optic question,
What caliber of rifle are u putting it on?
How far are u shooting?
Is it just for hunting?

The ppl who own and love 2.5-4K optics will say optics of less cost are garbage or don't hold a candle,
Now they may not hold a candle , but it doesn't mean they're no good.
What's ur skill level and out of curiosity what's your definition of heavy to very heavy recoiling rifles ?

If u ask me, don't blow ur money unless u absolutely need too.
Ur not shooting competition so u don't need the best, or even mid tier optic costing 1.5k
If u have to have something in the mid to top range buy a good condition used optic with lifetime warranty.
That way u get good glass and it doesn't cost u a tonne

Zeiss Conquest V4's have served me well. Reliable tracking, great glass and an intuitive zero stop. Red Hawk rifles sell demo's for less than $1000.

PIC a reticle tall target test it and put the actual correction into your ballistic solver and you will be fine with anything in the 12-1500$ price range. An air gun is the most brutal test for an optic. This is because the scope is moved in 2 directions and not one. The same can be said by an effective muzzle brake. Because of the violence of the second movement is the cause of failure not recoil in one direction.
I had a redfied on a 7# 300 wby for years never an issue. Put a good muzzle brake on the rifle and I'm sure the scope would fail quickly. WHile working in a gun shop we saw many scopes fail when they started putting good side dischage brakes on 30 and up magnums. One customer went from a decent line to the top line of one brand before it was resolved.
Again pic a reticle and find the brad that makes it in your price range. Don't overlook used either! I have bought 3 S&B's used and 2 of the 3 USO's I currently own. the 5-20 gen 1 razor can be had for 1100ish new. NXS in many configurations work extremely well.
1st focal or 2nd focal plane should already be answered

Zeiss Conquest V4's have served me well. Reliable tracking, great glass and an intuitive zero stop. Red Hawk rifles sell demo's for less than $1000.
The zeiss conquest was made by meopta Meopta now are marketing there own scopes the optica 6 scopes cr out in2020 you cant beat their scopes for the money the meopro is the same scope as the conquest in a different wrap I hacea 3.5 x 14 meopro 2nd focal plane recently bought a 3x18 x50 1st focal plane zero stop and zero lock withthe diacro reticle they have other choices of reticles and magnification read the reviews thier optica6 scopes are way better than the money your paying for under a 1000 they are up there with 1500 to 2000 dollar scopes european made scopes I know leopold are great scopes I was selling them back when they first got into tha market now your paying a lot for the name meopta hasn't got that big name yet they have been in the optic buiness for nearly 100 yrs making glass for alot of other companies zeiss cabelas maybe Kales Svarski from what I hear check them out you wont be disappointed

The zeiss conquest was made by meopta Meopta now are marketing there own scopes the optica 6 scopes cr out in2020 you cant beat their scopes for the money the meopro is the same scope as the conquest in a different wrap I hacea 3.5 x 14 meopro 2nd focal plane recently bought a 3x18 x50 1st focal plane zero stop and zero lock withthe diacro reticle they have other choices of reticles and magnification read the reviews thier optica6 scopes are way better than the money your paying for under a 1000 they are up there with 1500 to 2000 dollar scopes european made scopes I know leopold are great scopes I was selling them back when they first got into tha market now your paying a lot for the name meopta hasn't got that big name yet they have been in the optic buiness for nearly 100 yrs making glass for alot of other companies zeiss cabelas maybe Kales Svarski from what I hear check them out you wont be disappointed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.