Best Bino Under $1500

Xtremetj

I've decided it's time to upgrade my binoculars. I'd really like a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42 but don't know if its worth it. That's all my aunt and uncle use, both in binos and spotting scopes. While he loves them, he does spend hours behind them at time.

He told me for what I do, hunting from a tree stand 80%+ of the time it's not worth it. He told me to save my money because there's plenty of good glass out there for cheaper.

Based on that I'm leaning towards a pair of 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD or Leica Trinovid HD. Who used any of these and is it worth upgrading to the Swarovski SLC?

I welcome your opinions.

Thanks,

Greg

Here is a review my brother wrote about the Razor HDs: Fly to Water: Vortex Optics Razor HD 10x42 Binocular Review

I've never spent a lot of time behind high-end binos. Occasionally I'll borrow some Swaro's from my buddy, and they are very nice glass. This past season I finally got a decent set for myself in the form of the Viper HDs from Vortex. These supposedly have the same HD glass as the Razor, but the rest of the binocular (housing, eye cups, etc.) is a bit cheaper. These are $500 binos, and the clarity is amazing.

I would take a hard look at the Vortex offerings. Hopefully you get a chance to compare a few of them side by side and determine which set appeals to you personally.

Maven should be in your consideration set. I've used once, and relative to a Leica on same range, it appeared equal or better.

Can't comment on the swarvoski and that's probably what you really need. Someone that has used them and the others. So they can give you a comparision. Do have a fair amount of experience with the zeiss conquest, vortex razor, and vortex viper. I have the zeiss and my wife uses the vortex razor. They are both decent glass, I do prefer the zeiss myself and that could possibly be because I use them most of the time and am use to them. They seem a little clearer and brighter. My son uses the vortex viper and I have to admit for the price they do seem to be pretty darn nice. This past year we had some elk laying in the shadows and was a little hard to tell wether there was a bull present or not.
Now you have to understand his eyes are better than my old eyes, but he was the first to identify the bull. After he told me which one it was I could pick up the anters also. I then looked through his binos and compared them to mine. Pretty hard to tell the difference. One thing I can say from experience. If you want the swarvoski, don't settle for less because you won't be happy until you get them. Good luck

I played the bino musical chairs game and eventually ended up with EL 12x50's because I got a ridiculous deal I couldn't refuse. Otherwise I would have the Meopta(Swarovskis next door neighbor) version. Schott glass, been around forever, they make Nightforce spotting scopes, Cabela's EutoInstinc line, and are the best priced optic for the money.
Meopta Binoculars Meostar B1 10x42 HD 836538001345 | eBay
If you want more light get the 10x50mm
Meopta 10x50 Meostar B1 Binocular | eBay

Meopta Binoculars MeoStar B1 12x50 HD 836538001482 | eBay

If you can swing the money, get Swarovski binoculars. They are hands down the best , period . If you're on a budget and not glassing long distance, the various options from Vortex are a great value.

I own both brands, and they're both worth exactly what you pay for them .

Used SLC 10x42s, Used Zeiss Victory HT's, New Meopta 10x42 hd, Used Ultravids.

Vortex doesn't deserve to be in the conversation with alpha glass, the edge to edge clarity isnt there, the detail at distance isn't there, they don't do colors nearly as well. That being said, they have a great warranty you're most likely going to have to use.

I'll have to look at the Meopta's as well. I guess I forgot about them.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will definitly check them all out at dusk outside and see how they compare.

Thanks,

Greg

Used SLC 10x42s, Used Zeiss Victory HT's, New Meopta 10x42 hd, Used Ultravids.

Vortex doesn't deserve to be in the conversation with alpha glass, the edge to edge clarity isnt there, the detail at distance isn't there, they don't do colors nearly as well. That being said, they have a great warranty you're most likely going to have to use.

I bought Zeiss Conquest bino's....10 x 42 I think they are....and I wouldnt trade them for anything. Cost me $1000 but Id do it again for sure

I've had my eye on the Conquest HD for awhile. Two years ago my budget was ~$1,000 and they seemed the best to my eyes compared to the Vortex. I didn't even look at the Swarovskis. Almost bought them then but held off.

Now that I'm ready to buy again, I'm thinking about stepping up to the ~$1500+ range for the Swarovski SLC.

I'm struggling if it's worth it for the money for no more than I hunt and save the money for something else...

Decisions...decisions...I'm the worst at making up my mind!

I've had my eye on the Conquest HD for awhile. Two years ago my budget was ~$1,000 and they seemed the best to my eyes compared to the Vortex. I didn't even look at the Swarovskis. Almost bought them then but held off.

Now that I'm ready to buy again, I'm thinking about stepping up to the ~$1500+ range for the Swarovski SLC.

I'm struggling if it's worth it for the money for no more than I hunt and save the money for something else...

Decisions...decisions...I'm the worst at making up my mind!

As you get older your eyes don't see in the dark like they used to and you will age into you Swarovskis , appreciate them more, and not have to do this again in a few years. I have not found anyone that ever posted they were sorry to have bought a pair other than now that they have had a taste of top notch glass everything else is a compromise.

FYI, Swarovski has a minimum advertised price that retailers aren't allowed to officially deviate from in their advertising. Right now it seems to be $1799 for the 10x42 slc's. That's just what they have to advertise at however, that doesn't mean they can't sell them for less. A lot of retailers will come off that quite a bit. If you look on amazon right now there's a link to SWFA selling them for $1599 where they show the MAP of $1799 on their website. I'd be willing to bet that if you called europtics, sport optics, optics planet, SWFA, and a few others you'd be able to buy them new for close to if not at or below your $1500 limit. It pays to shop around and right now the euro to dollar exchange rate is pretty favorable to the U.S. dollar so the european optics are coming down in price a bit. You have to get on the phone and talk to them though. I've done the same thing with Nightforce scopes which also have a MAP policy, a few phone calls saved me several hundred dollars.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.