Best Bino Under $1500

I've had my eye on these for a while. I own a pair of Zeiss binoculars, the Victory line. They are a high dollar, high performance bino. After having looked through some of the other lines out there, Vortex, Maven, Athlon, Zen-Ray, etc, I really think the gap has closed considerably in glass quality. It's closed enough in my opinion to be completely subjective. I've looked through my $2000 Zeiss's, Swaro SLC's and then compared them directly to other brands that cost 1/3 of that, maybe even less. The difference was hardly noticeable, certainly not enough to justify the cost in my opinion. My next set of bino's won't be an "Alpha" set, that is for sure. I actually have had to take a step back and honestly assess the others, because quite frankly, I was trying to justify why I dropped 2k on a pair of binoculars when I probably could've spent less than half that and had the same performance. Just my opinion, but I bet most folks would come up with the same conclusions.

Agree wholeheartedly. Add Tract Toric to your list - amazing glass for $665.

I've had my eye on these for a while. I own a pair of Zeiss binoculars, the Victory line. They are a high dollar, high performance bino. After having looked through some of the other lines out there, Vortex, Maven, Athlon, Zen-Ray, etc, I really think the gap has closed considerably in glass quality. It's closed enough in my opinion to be completely subjective. I've looked through my $2000 Zeiss's, Swaro SLC's and then compared them directly to other brands that cost 1/3 of that, maybe even less. The difference was hardly noticeable, certainly not enough to justify the cost in my opinion. My next set of bino's won't be an "Alpha" set, that is for sure. I actually have had to take a step back and honestly assess the others, because quite frankly, I was trying to justify why I dropped 2k on a pair of binoculars when I probably could've spent less than half that and had the same performance. Just my opinion, but I bet most folks would come up with the same conclusions.

While I agree that the gap has narrowed a bit you really have to spend a lot of time behind a pair to notice something like eye strain, or the lack of it. Once you have top notch glass it's really hard to spend a day behind something less.

While I agree that the gap has narrowed a bit you really have to spend a lot of time behind a pair to notice something like eye strain, or the lack of it. Once you have top notch glass it's really hard to spend a day behind something less.

agree, but eye strain is very much a personal experience. when i was in my 30s, i never had eye strain. now in my 50s, i get in just an hour or so with non-hd glass. but, for me it doesn't matter if the hd glass is 2000 or 600, no eye strain. maybe in my 70s, i'll need swaro field flattening!

I received my Tract Toric 10-42 a few weeks ago.
My buddy has a vortex razor hd. He and I both agree the optics on the Toric are better

That is kind of what I would expect from a new company if you think about it, at least in our long range game anyways. How could you expect to enter the market with an inferior product ? We have plenty of those already and some even come with a great warranty, seriously. You need to have a similar or better product at a lower price point, or a really, really big marketing department with a big budget.

The Minox equivalent is as good as any Swarovski or Zeiss binocular.I have a set of 10x43 hpo's and I chose these over the swaro 's. They are a little cheaper as well. I own both the swaro and minox product. I hunt sheep and a hunter needs great glasses for this. Good luck

I have also bought used Swarovski binoculars for half of what they are worth new.Why not ?They stand behind their product
so do all the other German makes.What can you lose?

Swarovski SLC current model-you will not regret it, the EL model is not better just has a different view.

The SLC is a best buy in alpha glass.

If you cant afford it then take your pick of these:

Zeiss Conquest HD-can be had now days for as little as $700 new.
Used Zeiss Victory FL
GPO (German Precision Optics) Passion HD
Nikon Monarch HG
Tract Toric
Maven B2-these are larger glass with 45mm objectives,efficient Abbe Konig prisms in 9 or 11X magnification.
SIG Sauer ZULU 9-same as Maven B2 just different armor.

Other offerings in the mid price catagory are lacking compared to those above including the Razor HD and Maven B1 and Meopta meostar HD and anything Minox.

I went with the Meopta Meostar HDs. For my eyes they seemed to be about the best for the price. They are a bit heavier but glass seemed to outperform the razors and conquests. I honestly could not tell much difference between the SLCs and the Meoptas. I will admit the SLCs might have been a touch brighter in low light but it wasn't enough for me to justify the extra $600 for a small increase.

There will be many opinions here ..from many perspectives, but just view some of the birdwatching forums for some great information.Many birders are fanatical about what they do and how they do it . I am not one of these, but a common sheep hunter and I always carry a spotting scope and binoculars with me at all times and have looked through a lot of glass in my time. If my budget was limited to 1500.00 I would look at a used set, premium binoculars usually have transferable lifetime warranties. I would start with anything German..Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies!

I have looked and looked again and have decided you guys are right... save some money and then buy something.

I've decided I really like the Swarovski SLC and EL's. I think my eyes prefer the EL after spending an afternoon going back and forth but that may change. I plan on picking a set up next month and will spend some more time behind them both before choosing.

Thanks again!

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts