Impossible Scope?

Axl I've hunted with SFP scopes all my life and can live with it if I cross FFP off the list. However I got my first FFP scope a few years ago and really like it. I did have a moose jump out and run to 300 yards once, and I dropped prone and held over using my ballistic reticle without realizing that I had not dialed my scope up to full power. I doubt I'm the first to make that mistake! I missed with that shot but got lucky and got that moose later that day.

Feenix those are some very impressive blisters, and obviously you've done your share of packing. I'm pushing 50 too, and most of my hunting is off trail in Alaska, both of which contribute to my desire for less weight.

Feenix those are some very impressive blisters, and obviously you've done your share of packing. I'm pushing 50 too, and most of my hunting is off trail in Alaska, both of which contribute to my desire for less weight.

Aye Sir! My upcoming project will probably going to be my heaviest hunting rifle, esp. if I use my 30 oz suppressor. Pretty soon, I might be on the same boat as you are in reducing gear weight.

Last year, my hunting buddy and I was hunting the Rocky Mountain Front on one of the gulches and it took us 3.5 hours to get to the top and 2 hours to come down. These kind of places are meant for hunting on horse back.

This year if we get drawn for elk, it is a 7 mile hike in with a gradual climb before we start climbing the area we wanted to hunt. :D

Cheers!

......I did have a moose jump out and run to 300 yards once, and I dropped prone and held over using my ballistic reticle without realizing that I had not dialed my scope up to full power. I doubt I'm the first to make that mistake! I missed with that shot but got lucky and got that moose later that day........

Not the first, the only, or likely the last.

For your stated purpose you'd be better off with a vx6/z5/razor hd LW than a march anyway. I'm also a fan of the LRHS and believe it's a better scope for hunting than the march.

what scope and rifle combo were you using?

My current rig is a Kimber Montana in 7-08 with a Leupold VX-2 Ultralight 3x9 scope in Talley ringbases. The combination seems bombproof. I've carried that rifle for countless hours on my pack and it has spent many nights next to my sleeping pad in a tiny tent, and I haven't even had to reset the zero since I dialed it in about eight years ago. It's definitely my go-to rifle, and it covers 90% of what I need it too, but it doesn't pack the punch or ballistic coefficient needed for anything over 400 yards. I probably don't really NEED a new rifle, but when my father-in-law offered me a Bartlein barrel in 6.5mm I couldn't resist, so a 6.5 SAUM (GAP 4s) is in the making. For now I'm putting a Viper PST 6x24 on it for load development, but since the rifle itself will already weigh more I'd like to keep the scope weight down for hunting.

What I've found is that even though I have multiple rifles and calibers to choose from, when it comes to choosing one to strap onto my pack I always reach for my little Kimber. We call it the Flyswatter ever since my friend made a joke that it looked like a flyswatter with a scope on it. The way it kills is no joke though. I've taken several Dahl rams, caribou, mountain goats, black bear, and even three big moose with that rifle, and never lost an animal. I hope the new rifle is as much fun to hunt with as the Flyswatter.

For your stated purpose you'd be better off with a vx6/z5/razor hd LW than a march anyway. I'm also a fan of the LRHS and believe it's a better scope for hunting than the march.

I appreciate the input, and may very well sacrifice the FFP requirement in favor of one of the three scopes you mentioned. However, I do think that with the growing popularity of FFP scopes, it's only a matter of time before someone puts it all together in one package. And honestly, the way they have been leading the market in the last few years, I think Vortex may be the company to do it. Like I said, they already have the Razor HD LW and the Viper HS LR. So close.

A 3-18x46 Razor HD LW LR FFP that weighs 19 oz. Mmmmmmm....:rolleyes: Neither steel nor animal would ever be safe again.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.