Recommendations for gunsmith to do a bedding job?

Purchased a new B&C stock and need it fitted and bedded. Any recommendations of who to send it to?

Thanks
I see you are in IL. Buisse Custom Arms is just over the border in Union Grove, WI. He bedded my Tikka in a Game Warden stock and I couldn't be happier. 262-878-3006

I have found Charley Robertson to be very good at bedding (and everything else to do with customizing a rifle), and very reasonably priced and prompt:

SCORE HIGH GUNSMITHING
(Charley Robertson)
9812-A Cochiti Rd. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123

Ph# 505-292-5532 or 800-326-5632

E-m: [email protected]
Charlie does very good work.

fwiw I have never used LRI, but it's not 750 for "just" a bedding job. I don't even think they will work on an inletted stock, they start from blanks and CNC out your barreled action and bottom metal and then file and sand it to be essentially seamless. They are likely going to sand/file your action also.
I have a mutual friend of Chad's of LRI and have seen work sone by LRI. IMPRESSIVE. Just a little out of my budget now, maybe someday. But from what my buddy explained to me of LRI's bedsing service, is even if your stock is already inlwtted, they will fill it all and start feom scratch. They will laser scan your action and they cnc machine your stock and then they will bed it.
This is what ive been told by my buddy, no first hand knowledge.

I'm fairly handy but my first skim bedding job was pretty easy and turned out much better than I expected.

There isn't much mystique to it unless you want one of the mirror finish benchrest quality full bedding jobs.

If you are handy at all, I would go for it.

I've heard good things about Marine Tex but I used Devcon 10110 and am very happy with how it mixed, applied and released (dollar store shoe polish release agent).

100% this.

There is really no challenge to it once you settle down and do it. Are you going to pay someone to do it again when you decide you want a better stock and upgrade the B&C?

McMillan has you covered for $25.

Last edited:
One of the things I liked about the McMillan set was that it came with the Marine Tex but also the grease stuff (forgive my lack of technical jargon) so the epoxy wouldn't adhere to the action. Kind of an all-in-one set up but you do have to spend the money each time you want to bed a stock. For me being an amateur it was convenient.

All you need is devcon and some kiwi shoe polish. I use a Dremel to relieve my stocks. Never had any issues they all shoot great after. Check out the videos and go for it! The kiwi works great for a release agent. Put a coat and buff it, apply again. Grab some modeling clay too to fill in the action holes and your set.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.