First bedding job.

Your bedding looks like this is something he does not specialize in. Typically stock material will need to be removed from the action area to make room for bedding material. Being that I can see the green w/ black webbing stock finish through the bedding in places and it appears that only the tang, front of action and recoil lug was bedded tells me this is not going to be a stress free, full action bedding job. Whoever did this just slapped in some accra glass and called it good enough. I wouldn't trust them to do it again but rather explain that they did a poor job and try to get your money back to have it re-done correctly. A proper bed job falls alot into the prep of the stock prior to the bedding. Here's a photo of one of my pillar bed jobs.
View attachment 81951
I would listen to this guy, he knows his stuff.
I would sent it to Kevin, and have it done right.

Thank you Kevin,
will you tell me what the purpose is for the tape? I really appreciate your help! You are one of the best advice givers out there!
Happy new year!

Tom

Last edited:
After seeing exemplary work and looking at mine, I have decided to re do my bedding. For starters, it looks like hammered crap. Then comes I don't think the bed is really doing it's job. I can see the laminations of the Boyds in the very bottom of the action recess. Also, it's really thin(skim bedding?). Then, I did not pillar, and think it needs it-can't keep the screws tight. And possibly last, certainly most important, I love to tinker with the **** thing!
Question. I have really roughed up the in letting. If I can figure out a way to center the inlet(it's not concentric or consistent to the metal ) should I do the pillars at the same time as the bedding? Was thinking maybe do pillars first, then gouge out old bedding and re bed.
One more- if using Devcon 10110, how thick can it be applied? .125 too thick?
.030 around pillars (.060 on diameter ) ok ?? Appreciate any input .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts