First Bedding Job

beandip

Well this is the first rifle i'll be bedding. I have zero experience. I've read countless articles and discussions on how to do it and think I have the basics on how to do it and make it work. It seems to be all in the prep work (correct me if I'm wrong). Any advice is more than welcome. Kinda nervous but it's a beater stevens 200 in .30-06 so if I screw it up I won't be completely disappointed. Also, I see a lot of people saying they use Devcon, but Acraglass is readily available at my local gunshop. Is there any disadvantage to using that instead? Anyway, I'm starting my prep work tonight. I have pillars on order from Brownells so I have to wait for those so I have some more time to gather some info. Any help is much appreciated.

I did my first one last year. Used JB Weld and was VERY nervous......
pretty simple deal when it's done but you sure do worry. After I used shoe polish for a release agent I sprayed the action down with 1shot case lube. Take your time and it'll be fine.

I just put a new stock on my 22-250. I've always used Acraglass gel up to this point and always have had good results. This time I tried out Devcon Plastic Steel, I'm not using Acraglass any longer. The Devcon is tough stuff, and damned hard when it cures.

Clean up with Devcon is easy too, soap and water while it's still puddy, plenty of paper towels and Qtips too.

I followed this guys routine as best I could
Stress-Free Pillar Bedding within AccurateShooter.com

Biggest thing is to figure out how to block all the holes so nothing gets in the threads or in the action. Other than that release agent and dont worry to much just take your time.

Ok thanks guys. I'm gonna get some Devcon to do it then. And as for the holes, I've got plumbers putty. the biggest thing that I'm worried about is the mag well. I'm not exactly sure how to avoid bedding whatever I use to plug that with into the stock. Any advice on that? I feel like if I plug it with clay or something but then put the epoxy over it it would be stuck in.

Are you removing the magazine? And is it a fixed magazine like my Savages or a detachable one?

You can either use putty or Play-Doh around the junction between the magazine and the action. Coat both with your Kiwi neutral shoe polish (aka release agent) and you'll do fine. I usually also put some release agent on my fixed magazine just in case. You're not going to use so much material that you fill the area around the magazine with anything.

Here's a sample of a bedding job in a Savage. I borrowed the pic from elsewhere.

DSC03834.jpg

The magazine is removable. It won't be in the stock when I do the bedding. So just polish the release agent onto the play-doh or whatever I use? That seems simple enough.

Yep, or you can leave it alone. Usually (operative word) the filler agent will come off even without release agent on it.

Note the photo above. You're only going to put a thin coat of Devcon along the sides of the action. Look at the space between your action and the stock - we're generally not talking about a lot of room to fill.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.