First ever pillar and bedding job / Savage 111 Trophy Hunter

PowellSixO
First ever pillar and bedding job / Savage 111 Trophy Hunter
Well my new Boyd's Pro Varmint stock came in Monday. The factory Savage stock that came on my rifle was horrible, so I decided to replace it. With not a lot of choices for this rifle, I ended up choosing the Pro Varmint stock from Boyd's.

In 2014 I got a Boyds Tacticool stock meant for a Sav 10 4.415" receiver and a 1.05" barrel.
I put a 1970 Sav 110 4.552" 223 receiver and 1.2" Lothar Walther 1.2" barrel in it by milling out the stock to fit.
I made Aluminum pillars from 1/2" stock with undersized radii to pre compress spread with action screws. I bedded with pre compressed pillars in Devcon 10110. The only thing on the stock that touches the barrelled action are the two pillars and two action screws.

In 2015 I got a Boyds Pro Varmint stock [same thing as Tacticool was] for a Dumoulin Mauser.
I milled out the barrel channel for a #3 Shilen 6.5-06 barrel.
I made a foot long Aluminum bedding block and bedded it in Devcon 10110. The only thing on the stock that touches of the barrelled action is the bedding block and two action screws.

These cheap $100 Boyds laminated wood painted stocks are getting better groups than I get with my rifles I built with $400 painted composite stocks..........but the Boyds Pro Varmint are bigger and heavier.

Attachments

• Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg
    Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT 10-26-2015.jpg
    Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT 10-26-2015.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 97
In 2014 I got a Boyds Tacticool stock meant for a Sav 10 4.415" receiver and a 1.05" barrel.
I put a 1970 Sav 110 4.552" 223 receiver and 1.2" Lothar Walther 1.2" barrel in it by milling out the stock to fit.
I made Aluminum pillars from 1/2" stock with undersized radii to pre compress spread with action screws. I bedded with pre compressed pillars in Devcon 10110. The only thing on the stock that touches the barrelled action are the two pillars and two action screws.

In 2015 I got a Boyds Pro Varmint stock [same thing as Tacticool was] for a Dumoulin Mauser.
I milled out the barrel channel for a #3 Shilen 6.5-06 barrel.
I made a foot long Aluminum bedding block and bedded it in Devcon 10110. The only thing on the stock that touches of the barrelled action is the bedding block and two action screws.

These cheap $100 Boyds laminated wood painted stocks are getting better groups than I get with my rifles I built with $400 painted composite stocks..........but the Boyds Pro Varmint are bigger and heavier.

Great looking rifles. Thanks for sharing.

I have a dumb question, why did you remove the steel pillars that were already in that stock?

I have bedded several factory Savage wood stocks with those steel pillars in them and they shoot just fine. Isn't the goal to stabilize the recoil lug contact with the stock and also stabilize the action from side to side movement. Those small steel pillars are not going to compress and once you bed the recoil lug and front and rear of the action you should be good shouldn't you? The action screws are steel and so are those pillars, so thermal expansion and contraction between them should be very similar shouldn't it?

I have a dumb question, why did you remove the steel pillars that were already in that stock?

I have bedded several factory Savage wood stocks with those steel pillars in them and they shoot just fine. Isn't the goal to stabilize the recoil lug contact with the stock and also stabilize the action from side to side movement. Those small steel pillars are not going to compress and once you bed the recoil lug and front and rear of the action you should be good shouldn't you? The action screws are steel and so are those pillars, so thermal expansion and contraction between them should be very similar shouldn't it?

I didn't remove the pillars from the wood stock. I added them to it. I removed the steel pillars from the old plastic Tupperware stock, and put them in the wood stock. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I made the holes in the stock a little bit bigger though, so that I could get some of the bedding material down and around the pillars to help hold them in there.

It's hard to tell in the pictures I posted, but the pillars are in there once its bedded. I'll have to take the rifle apart and take some more pictures, now that it's 100% cleaned up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.