Recommend Me A Lightweight Rifle

Not sure what 6.5s they're shooting but I've been shooting them for years and have never lost a animal. There are numerous loads by Hornady, Norma, and other MFGs of premium quality that will take most NorthAmercia game animals. I have a 360 bull shot at 487 yards with one shot from a 6.5-284 and wouldn't think twice of using the Creedmoor. I don't believe in solid copper bullets. To each his own but if you look around on this site you will notice that the 6.5s are one of the preferred Long Range HUNTING rifle/rounds! Good luck with the 30-06 and 7-08.

Not sure what 6.5s they're shooting but I've been shooting them for years and have never lost a animal. There are numerous loads by Hornady, Norma, and other MFGs of premium quality that will take most NorthAmercia game animals. I have a 360 bull shot at 487 yards with one shot from a 6.5-284 and wouldn't think twice of using the Creedmoor. I don't believe in solid copper bullets. To each his own but if you look around on this site you will notice that the 6.5s are one of the preferred Long Range HUNTING rifle/rounds! Good luck with the 30-06 and 7-08.

Thank you for the note, the cartridge discussions are interesting. Glad to hear about your success with 6.5 CR.

Can we get back on track guys? Narrowed it down to browning speed, CA Mesa and kimber 84M hunter, maybe the weatherby wilderness

I think you would be good with any of those more than likely. Go look at them if you're not to rural. You may find one just fits you better than any of the others or you just find something that puts you over the top. For me the Kimber had a fantastic trigger which is paramount on a lightweight rifle and it had Match chamber with a pillar bedded action. All for $750. What are you thinking of a budget for a optic and have you got something in mind?

Last edited:
I think you would be good with any of those more than likely. Go look at them if you're not to rural. You may find one just fits you better than any of the others or, you just find something that puts you over the top. For me the Kimber had a fantastic trigger which is paramount on a lightweight rifle and it had Match chamber with a pillar bedded action. All for $750. What are you thinking of a budget for a optic and have you got something in mind?
I'm thinking around $400-$500 for a scope. Either Nikon or luepold

I'm thinking around $400-$500 for a scope. Either Nikon or luepold
Vortex Viper HS or HS-T series scopes. If you are willing put up more for the scope, for the money, it is ****-near impossible to beat the old Zeiss Conquest scopes, like the 4.5-14x44 and the 6.5-20x50 with the target turrets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss...691984?hash=item3d4c467910:g:HxIAAOSw2vVZ3pYl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Conq...340156?hash=item544f19bebc:g:G9QAAOSw7GRZGlfW

Maybe a used Kahles Helia KX or KXi 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot reticle. You can occasionally find a used one on eBay for $600-700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kahles-3-5...076084?hash=item544f343bb4:g:BBMAAOSwll1WxQWw

I like vortex's warranty and value but the deal breaker is on every scope I've owned that was made by them, I eye relied was very small. That's why I like my nikons and luepolds

timberelk -- At the beginning you mentioned you wanted a lightweight rifle. Assuming you also want the complete package to be lightweight, it's best to look at the weight of the scope and the mounts you buy. Even look at the weight of the sling! Remember 4 oz. = 1/4 pound -- therefore ounces count and will quickly add up to an extra pound! If the idea is lightweight, by the end of the day you'll wish you didn't have that extra pound -- or two! I've got a Vortex scope on a rifle and I love the scope but it's not on a lightweight rifle -- because the scope weighs almost double a that of a lightweight Leupold.

Any reason you pick the Mesa?

I think the Mesa is the better rifle of the brands/models mentioned. But, I do prefer the Ridgeline over the Mesa because I think you are getting a lighter rifle with a better barrel.
If you want what I think would be the best possible set up, Ridgeline in 6.5x284 or 6.5 creed with a NF ATACR 4~16x50 or a NXS 3.5~15x50

After running some number I can get a kimber 84 M hunter and a $300 luepold scope for the same price as the CA Mesa. What are your guys thought on this?

Dude, don't go that cheap on your scope... Also, Kimber used to have some serious accuracy issues with their rifles. Not sure if that has been corrected, but I do know they were not the most desirable rifles to own about 7-10 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.