Recommend Me A Lightweight Rifle

The Ridgeline has a carbon fiber barrel. It allows a 2" longer barrel and is less than a half pound lighter than the Mess. A big plus is the Message come with a less than MOA accuracy guarantee. I don't believe the Kimber does. Plus as others have said, I have read a.lot of mixed reviews

So other than the carbon barrel the Mesa and ridgeline will shoot similar?

The theory with thin barrels is that POI changes with multiple shots as barrel heats up. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know whether that theory would hold true on the Mesa or how many shots it would take to change POI.

Carbon wrapping allows a thin barrel to be stiffened with less weight.

The action, trigger and stock on the Mesa are the same as on the Ridgeline. I Went the Ridgeline route.

Group below from initial sight-in at 300-yards in rain with factory Nosler Ammo. Not bad for a mass produced rifle.

7345C689-D07F-4D9E-9DAA-7E27771CA40D.jpeg

I shoot a Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and love it as my pack rifle. Under 5lbs without optics and the adjustable trigger is the finest I've used. Also has a match chamber and a free floated barrel, and I'm not mistaken the action has been blueprinted. It does not have a break on it but it's not needed IMO as the Creedmoor recoil is minimal. I load a 129 Accubond LR and get about 2950 FPS out of the 22" pipe. This load shoots under 1/2 MOA. I also load a 130 or 140 Berger with IMR 4451 with similar results of accuracy but less velocity in the 2700-2750 range. I've shot some of the Hornady Precision rounds with sub moa results. For $750-$780 you cant go wrong. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned NULA, Melvin Forbes is the light weight rifle man. I have one of his m28's in 30-06 shoots 1/2 Moa or less ( if I do my part) with factory federal premium 150gr nosler bt, (Melvin's go to test ammo for -06) .
Just my 2c. Check out New Ultralight Arms

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned NULA, Melvin Forbes is the light weight rifle man. I have one of his m28's in 30-06 shoots 1/2 Moa or less ( if I do my part) with factory federal premium 150gr nosler bt, (Melvin's go to test ammo for -06) .
Just my 2c. Check out New Ultralight Arms

He's only looking to spend less than 1500. Melvins rifles are much more than this! Boy they are very nice though.

The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS holds its own on the mountain. About 6.5 pounds, but with a floated barrel, Bell & Carlson stock, and controlled feed pre-64 style action, it is far from delicate.

Tikka T-3. For bull Elk - I would prefer most .30 cal. magnums. The .300 Win Mag offers more variety in factory loads, at a better cost than just about anything out there. And - the 7 Rem.Mag. is a close second.

Thread the barrel in 1/2x28t.p.i. Put a radial brake on it from Harrels Precision. DONE.

Rifle will weigh less than 6.5 ponds, cost you approx. $800 ( in satin stainless w/composite stock)- and made with an action that surpasses any Rem. 700 right out of the box - with a Sako hammer forged barrel, known for hunting accuracy.
Light, inexpensive.

OMG, in your budget, if you don't call Keefer at Europtics (tell him Buzz told you to call) and buy a Barrett 6.5 Creedmoor, your nuts, just that simple, You can get Barrett's 18" threaded barrel model.

Of course, I have the 21" in 6.5 Creedmoor, its a true half inch gun with my H4350/Berger Elite Hunter load.

Forget all the Tikka talk, etc. If Keefer doesn't have one in stock, try Whittaker's.

Put a Swarovski or Leupold scope (both are VERY good optics and very LIGHT.

Boom, your done !!!

On the Fieldcraft, they list weight of 6.5 Cred at 5.15# with 1:8 by 18" threaded barrel.
The Ridgeline is listed at 6.3# with a 24" barrel and 1:8 twist. A pretty decent radial brake is included.
The Mesa at 6.5# with a "braked" 20" barrel listed at 1:16 LH twist, what's up with the Mesa's twist?

I've herd good reviews and I've herd horrible reviews of the kimbers. Not sure who to trust and who not to listen to?

I shoot a Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and love it as my pack rifle. Under 5lbs without optics and the adjustable trigger is the finest I've used. Also has a match chamber and a free floated barrel, and I'm not mistaken the action has been blueprinted. It does not have a break on it but it's not needed IMO as the Creedmoor recoil is minimal. I load a 129 Accubond LR and get about 2950 FPS out of the 22" pipe. This load shoots under 1/2 MOA. I also load a 130 or 140 Berger with IMR 4451 with similar results of accuracy but less velocity in the 2700-2750 range. I've shot some of the Hornady Precision rounds with sub moa results. For $750-$780 you cant go wrong. I hope this helps!

On CA's website it says 1 in 8 twist on the 6.5 creedmor and the break is removable and has 1/2-28 threads

On the Fieldcraft, they list weight of 6.5 Cred at 5.15# with 1:8 by 18" threaded barrel.
The Ridgeline is listed at 6.3# with a 24" barrel and 1:8 twist. A pretty decent radial brake is included.
The Mesa at 6.5# with a "braked" 20" barrel listed at 1:16 LH twist, what's up with the Mesa's twist?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.