Recommend me a SA hunting caliber

lennyo3034

I have a custom action on order with the intent on building it into a general purpose hunting rifle. It is a short action with interchangeable bolt face (ARC Nucleus) so I am not limited by case diameter.

My target species are deer and black bear. Sometimes I hunt corn fields on crop damage tags and have a shot out to 800 yards (probably would not take that shot unless I'm familiar with wind profile), other times I hike into public land for multi-day hunts. Realistically I'm probably limited to a 300 yard shot in this case. I'm not terribly concerned with deer, but bear in my area have proven tough. I would like to keep the rifle somewhat short, 22" barrel would be ideal.

Calibers I'm considering are:

7 SAUM: has the energy I'm looking for, but may require a longer barrel length. No prefit barrel.
.284 Winchester: Not sure how well it will run in a short action, barrel length concern?
7mm-08: worried about velocity with 162 eld-x
7mm-08AI: Cant find any prefits (savage small shank)
6.5 SAUM: Dont really see advantages over 7 SAUM for my purposes

If there is another caliber I'm not thinking about please let me know.

As for myself: I've been shooting long range competition (prs type and gas gun), but have only been hunting for 3 years.

284 win seated appropriately will not run well in short action. Of all the cartridge you list, only one is readily available over the counter ammo, and that's 7mm-08. Do you reload? Personally I'd build a 6.5prc on a kimber wsm or Tikka t3 action.

Yes I reload, I have no intention of buying factory ammo.

I already have the ARC Nucleus on order. Is there an advantage to the 6.5 PRC over SAUM for my purpose?

Yes I reload, I have no intention of buying factory ammo.

I already have the ARC Nucleus on order. Is there an advantage to the 6.5 PRC over SAUM for my purpose?

I'd say component availability will likely favor the 6.5 PRC over SAUM. Reasonably priced, off the shelf, ammo is available for the PRC. If Hornady backs this thing as much as they backed the 6.5 Creedmoor, it's going to be an affordable and convenient option for a lot of people, reloader or not.

I'd say component availability will likely favor the 6.5 PRC over SAUM. Reasonably priced, off the shelf, ammo is available for the PRC. If Hornady backs this thing as much as they backed the 6.5 Creedmoor, it's going to be an affordable and convenient option for a lot of people, reloader or not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only sources for brass are Hornady loaded ammo or direct from GA Precision. It is slower than the SAUMs and built within the FPS requirements for most tactical matches.

If you want a hunting round, go SAUM or Sherman.

For 300 yard range, anything will work...ok, I wouldn't want to shoot a bear with a .243. .270 to 30 cal for that target. Nothing wrong with a .308 at that distance....nothing special about it either.

With peterson coming out with 270 n 300wsm brass hard to overlook either of those or the 7-270, 7-300wsm. It's good brass and will be available. In 270 an 8.5 or tighter will shoot the 170berger and 165 matrix In the 300 a 9 will shoot the new 230 sierra's and monos and a 10 will shoot 215 bergers and down. If you go 7-300 I would look at the 180's over the 195 just for mag feed.
The shermans in the different flavors are all fantastic short action rounds. If and when he has headstamped brass that is the better option for standard mag fed sa.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.