Recommend Me A Lightweight Rifle

Timberelk, I've been reading the various replies with great interest. I too like light weight rifles, and over the last 50 years have filled my gun safe with several. I have two Kimbers, which are without a doubt the lightest weight rifles I own. But neither one is what I would call extremely accurate, and due to their light weight the perceived recoil is greater. My safe also contains two Christensen Custom Extreme rifles (.280 Ackley Improved, & .338-06 ASq.), and one of their Ridgeline's in 26 Nosler. While not quite as light as the Kimbers, the bare rifles all come in under 7lbs. Better yet, all three of them shoot 1/2 MOA, are easy to carry, and come with factory muzzle breaks. They are without a doubt loud and require ear protection, but the reduction in recoil is truly unbelievable. I would honestly state the perceived recoil with any of the three is in the range of a standard weight .243, with the 26 Nosler being the lightest. My only other comments are (1) spend as much as you can afford for optics, and (2) have fun with it all!

I love light rifles for western hunting at altitude. I am also getting older and I am still a flat lander, but light rifles can be tricky when it comes to accuracy. Someone wrote Tikka rifles. I would second that since I have never had a bad one. As for cartridge selection I don't think you can go wrong with the 270, 280, 260, 6.5 X 55 and 7mm x 08. On the other hand, with the cost of western hunts going up these days, why not go to Africa for about the same price. Advantage: Someone will carry your gun so it doesn't matter how heavy it is!

The Remington 700 mountain is on sale for 699 right now at cabelas, in a 280 would be a sweet rifle. There are a few other calibers available too. Mount up some talleys and a light quality scope of choice and you're set.

I guess howa does have a model worth considering in this discussion. I forgot about it but just ran across a similar thread on another forum where someone gave a good review of their howa alpine in 6.5 CM.

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-alpine-mountain-rifle/
Looks like they go for just over a grand.

I really enjoy watching Randy Newburg's hunting shows and he uses that Howa Alpine in 308 and 7mm08 quite extensively on deer and elk. Looks like a nice light rifle!

Can anyone else comment on the 270 win or 30-06 loaded down to 6.5 recoil idea?
Loaned my daughter in law a .270 win and used the ammo from hornady that is loaded for lighter recoil. She setteled on that rifle after trying 6 different rifles and shot it very well. The ammo is very accurate in that rifle, so it worked for her during practice sessions, but she never saw a buck so I can't comment on performance. However, she wants to get good out to 6-700 yards and my recommendation for her will be the same rifle but in 6.5CM

Last edited:
I may go with a HOWA 1500 and instantly order a Boyd featherweight thumbhole stock and throw a $400 luepold on top of it and use the rest of my budget to get the necessary equipment for coyote hunting (I've been wanting to get into coyote hunting for some time time but calls are expensive)
I've handled several of the different Boyds stocks and "featherweight" is NOT how I'd describe any of them.....You better handle one before you go that route.

You want light, decent price, excellent quality? The Kimber already mentioned and Tikka T3X Superlight, both very accurate out of the box and already have a great trigger and a good stock. Both a better choice than Howa, imo. Spend what you can on a good scope, Leupold VX6, VX3i are both really nice and have turrets available when you pick a load your rifle really likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.