Recommend Me A Lightweight Rifle

I may go with a HOWA 1500 and instantly order a Boyd featherweight thumbhole stock and throw a $400 luepold on top of it and use the rest of my budget to get the necessary equipment for coyote hunting (I've been wanting to get into coyote hunting for some time time but calls are expensive)

Any other thoughts?
Both of these come factory with 1:8 twist barrels, so you would be able to shoot the heavies for long range. The SPS is lightweight with a 24" barrel. And the Magpul model has a 5/8x24 threaded 22" 5R heavy barrel. Personally, I'd go for the Magpul.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/90809/Remington+700+SPS+260

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24221/Remington+Firearms+84291+700+Magpul+Bolt+260+Remington+22+5+1+Magpul+Stk+Black

Have fun with that. I know nothing about Howa and didn't see anyone here mention it. I guess I'll do some reading up on them. Good luck with your experiment.

It's essentially a Weatherby Vanguard (built in same factory). Have herd raving review about their accuracy. Typically in the .75 MOA range. Same thing with the ruger predator

Dozens of great lightweight rifles mentioned in this thread and Howa?
Not a stainless barrel and you would have to buy another stock, good luck

Well after thinking about it for a while why would I spend $1500 ish on a bare rifle where I would have to then save up for a scope and rings ($500 ish) then it would just sit at home because I wouldn't have any big game hunting until next fall and I wouldn't be able to afford the equipment to get into coyote/predator hunting. So that's what brought me to Howa/ruger predator because it would allow me to buy the gun, a new nice stock, nice scope and have money to spend on predator hunting equipment to get me out in the field enjoying this country. Instead of sitting at home staring at the gun that weights 1.5lb ish lighter. But that's just my opinion

timberelk -- you're back to the Kimber Hunter for lower price and longer barrel for better velocity -- and it's already got a lightweight stock. It's far lighter than the Howa will be!

I've had a Howa -- had good accuracy and I liked the rifle but it was way too heavy. I sold it! While you can get a lightweight Howa -- it's got a short barrel to get the weight down. If you want to shoot to 600 yards you'll need the extra velocity that the longer barrel of the Kimber will give you.

timberelk -- you're back to the Kimber Hunter for lower price and longer barrel for better velocity -- and it's already got a lightweight stock. It's far lighter than the Howa will be!

I've had a Howa -- had good accuracy and I liked the rifle but it was way too heavy. I sold it! While you can get a lightweight Howa -- it's got a short barrel to get the weight down. If you want to shoot to 600 yards you'll need the extra velocity that the longer barrel of the Kimber will give you.
The Kimber also has a match chamber and from what my SMITH says is a TIMNEY trigger in disguise. Best factory trigger I've ever used. I run the the 129 Accubond LR at about 2920 FPS out of that Kimber pipe.

Just buy something and let us ALL know how it works out. There are plenty of options that have been mentioned here. Go shopping and check them all out. Put them in your hand and inspect them. All of this back and forth now is getting repetitive. Let us know how many YOTES you shoot on your first outing. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts