Recommend me a SA hunting caliber

Or just go straight to the 338 SS, I hunt moose mainly though so that's where I'm heading.

Elkaholic was also discussing availablity of prefits for the Sherman line.

Or just go straight to the 338 SS, I hunt moose mainly though so that's where I'm heading.

Elkaholic was also discussing availablity of prefits for the Sherman line.

Prefits would interest me a lot. I have a few months before I see the action anyways.

Another vote for the 7mm SS pushing Berger 180 Hybrids or 195 Elite Hunters. I'd go 26" 1:8 twist. And Rich also offers pre-fit barrels.

I have been zapping deer with a 300WSM with 150gr Nosler ballistic tips for a while now....absolute death on them. Both axis deer and mule deer. Nice to have the flexibility of moving to larger bullets if needed, so your black bear round will be covered. At this point I'm totally pleased with this chambering.

With peterson coming out with 270 n 300wsm brass hard to overlook either of those or the 7-270, 7-300wsm. It's good brass and will be available. In 270 an 8.5 or tighter will shoot the 170berger and 165 matrix In the 300 a 9 will shoot the new 230 sierra's and monos and a 10 will shoot 215 bergers and down. If you go 7-300 I would look at the 180's over the 195 just for mag feed.
The shermans in the different flavors are all fantastic short action rounds. If and when he has headstamped brass that is the better option for standard mag fed sa.

I found this today while looking for something else:

shot182306.jpg

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/bryan-litz/

I have a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with the factory 22" barrel. I'm getting great accuracy with 160 grain Accubonds at an average of 2960fps.

Guys, the ARC Nucleus action he is getting is threaded for small shank Savage barrels(1.062"x20). I'm not sure that a WSM diameter case is a great idea? Savage didn't think so.

You say 22" barrel and also out to 800yds. 800 is a long ways no matter how you cut it and to do it, I personally would want a 26" minimum and also probably NOT a short action cartridge. All those things aside, I would go 7mm-08 Ackley or just standard 7mm-08. I would expect that you could hit 2800fps with a 162gr bullet. No promises obviously and I also can't say that you will find accuracy at 2800fps either.

Realistically I would be keeping shot under 300. I had he chance to take a shot at 800 last year but passed. The only time I would take that shot is if the property owner were with me and asked me to. These were crop damage deer so he doesn't care about good shot placement, just wants them dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.