recoil reduction

My question is what way is the best cost effective to reduced recoil

1) use a limbsaver recoil pad "save up to 70% recoil

2) buy a muzzle brake

3) buy a suppressor

(thanks for your help in advance)

Try the limbsaver pad first and see how it feels.
Don't expect a 70% reduction though.
If it's not enough for you then get a muzzle brake put on.

My 338 Lapua Improved has both!

The Limbsaver does not reduce recoil it just softens the felt effects of recoil. The only thing that will reduce recoil is a break.

If you are having a pad "ground to fit" I would look at kick eez. I love the pre-fit limbsavers on the guns that I have them on (mostly shotguns) but the kick eez just seems a bit more comfortable on my hard kicking, hard to fit rifles. The "trap" model works great for "fixed position" shooting because the shape allows more of the pad to contact the shoulder, thus spreading the force over a larger area. Plus you can get them in greater thicknesses then the limbsaver. Nothing wrong with limbsavers as I have them on approximately half of my firearms.

Great advise so far. Ill put in another plug for limbsaver, and for kick-eez. Both work very well.
My plan is to break my wby. I already put a limbsaver on it. If that and the brake isnt enough, Ill get one of those mercury recoil reducers to fit in the stock.
So Im pretty sure your on the right track with the advise youve been given. If not, then we're both goin down the wrong road:D

The cheapest and most obvious way to reduce recoil is to add weight.
However this has diminishing returns.

A .338 Edge rifle of 8lbs has recoil of about 64ft/lbs while a 9lb rifle has a recoil figure of 57 ft/lbs. A reduction of 7 ft/lbs.

If you compare a 14lb rifle to a 15lb rifle the numbers are 37ft/lbs and 34ft/lbs. so only a reduction of 3 ft/lbs for the extra 1lb.

So it depends on the calibre and weight of your rifle what to do. A good recoil pad is great and so is a brake but need to add $$$$

Please read the info below:

Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your signature or in your Public Profile including the HomePage found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.