Recoil Reduction Systems

magnum

What do you guys use for recoil reduction in a light weight synthetic stocked rifle if you don't want to use a muzzle brake? What is available and from whom?

One option is to replace your butt pad with a Limbsaver/Pachmayr recoil pad. Both are pretty effective and fairly cheap (you can also get one that slips over the butt of your stock, but it effects your length of pull by more than the replacement type) There are several aftermarket stock Companies that have mercury filled recoil reducers or built-in mechanical ones. I haven't personally owned one, but I've heard mostly good reports from other shooters. There are a few other types out there, but none that I know much about. Price wise, the Limbsaver is your best Bang-for-the-buck.

I'm not sure about 70%, but they do make a big difference. I'd guess more like 40-50% depending on what kind of pad you have to being with.

The only pads I am used to are the following:

> 25 plus year old Pachmyr Old English Style on a custom .308 NM
> After market pad on a Winchester pre 64 M70 fwt .270
> Ruger standard recoil pad on a 7mm RM rebarreled to .375/338 WM

I am building a light weight long range hunting rifle in .300 WM and I am looking for as much recoil reduction I can get without fitting a brake.

Magnum

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.