Seeking accuracy and recoil reduction in 7mm-08 rifle

Thanks for the advice, Ian. I'm going to apply for the suppressor permit and do research while waiting for the barrel.

Another good powder choice for your 7mm08 with 140grain bullets is Ramshot Big Game. I believe Nosler lists this in their latest manual as their accuracy powder with 140's. I use it with great results behind the 140 grain Berger VLD, it has been very accurate and an excellent medium game hunting load. I also shot 120 grain Nosler BT's and Hodgdon Varget when I first built my rifle, and they did very well too.

I highly recommend you replace your stock. I have a 700 SPS in .308 that I shoot 150 gr. bullets out of. Almost exactly what you are shooting. The factory plastic stock was absolute garbage. Tried firming up the forearm but realized that the flexing actually takes place at the thin walls along the magazine. I put a ton of epoxy up front but all it did was firm up the section that pivoted, all the bending happened behind the recoil lug. I made a new stock for it out of a couple pieces of Lyptus glued together basically a two layer laminate. What a huge difference. Gun does not weigh more than a couple ounces heavier but the way it responds to recoil is night and day. The plastic stock was like a tuning fork it jumped and vibrated so much. The new wood stock just pushes straight back.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.