rechambering 270 to...?

timmay

Im going to be buying a very nice early 1980's Rem 700 in 270 and want to rebarrel to something in 7mm without going magnum.Maybe even 6.5mm

Im thinking of these calibers and would like your experienced opinions.
Also I do not want to go with a barrel any longer than 24" as this will be used for an all around rifle from target to hunting 24" medium/sporter weight max.
284win
280AI
6.5-06
6.5-284

I know they are all great rounds, but I really am getting the itch for the standard 284win even though there is zero factory ammo (doesn't matter Ill be reloading for anyone of them) Norma has regular 284 brass so I don't have to neck up the 6.5 stuff.
I think a 284 in a long action would be pretty sweet.

I was going to just go buy a Winchester featherweight in 7mm-08 which is an awesome little rifle, but I figured Id like to have some fun tinkering instead of off the rack this time

Im going to be buying a very nice early 1980's Rem 700 in 270 and want to rebarrel to something in 7mm without going magnum.Maybe even 6.5mm

Also I do not want to go with a barrel any longer than 24" as this will be used for an all around rifle from target to hunting 24" medium/sporter weight max.
284win
280AI
6.5-06
6.5-284

I know they are all great rounds, but I really am getting the itch for the standard 284win even though there is zero factory ammo (doesn't matter Ill be reloading for anyone of them) Norma has regular 284 brass so I don't have to neck up the 6.5 stuff.

I was going to just go buy a Winchester featherweight in 7mm-08 which is an awesome little rifle, but I figured Id like to have some fun tinkering instead of off the rack this time

.280 AI all the way! Modern caliber in a classic rifle. If you're only going 24", then I'd go magnum sporter contour at the minimum. Less barrel-whip and more rigidity will make for a more accurate and less picky rifle during load development.

Nosler makes .280 AI brass these days, so you won't have to do any of the prep work before fire-forming the cases.

284win
280AI
6.5-06
6.5-284

Lots of good choices there. It hard to go wrong with those choices. Seems that the 6.5's are a little harder on barrels. But not too bad if you don't shoot them until they're too hot to touch. I built a 284 in a long action and I can finally fit the 168 VLD's in the mag.

You can find the awesome Lapua brass in 6.5/284 pretty easy.
That makes the case for 6.5 or 284 in that brass. Lapua also makes 30-06 brass so anything 6.5 or 7mm off that case will work also. The 280 is a little faster than the 284 if you like to shoot far away. Time to start flipping the coin :D

If the availability of factory ammo is consideration you need to drop most of the calibers you have listed.

For 6.5 choices there are plenty from the 6.5x55 to Creedmore and .260 Rem. Your standard bolt face will work with all of them.

Of those three choices there's a good supply of factory ammo available for all of them as well as brass.

For 7mm's you need to go to the 7mm Rem Mag if you want factory ammo and despite what you have probably heard most of your life having the word "magnum" associated with a cartridge neither makes it magical or a heavy recoiling monster. It is simply a term created to go with the belted cartridges over a half century ago.

You'd have to open up the bolt face or replace the bolt body to move to the 7mm Rem but that's not a big deal and you already have a full length action so that's no problem.

All good choices and hard to go wrong with any of them as you are reloading. I am somewhat biased toward the 280 AI but if I was you I would pick the one that you lean towards out of that bunch and never look back. gun)

JM2C

Scratch the itch and go for it, it's really that simple ...

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I purchased a Savage 110 LA in .270 Win for the action, but it was quite the shooter so I hunted with it for a couple of seasons. When I finally decided to re-barrel, I was highly considering the .284 and .280/AI. I went with .270 AI (in honor of the legendary Jack O'Connor :D) instead with 1:8" 30" Lilja barrel primarily to propel the Matrix 165/175 VLDs (shoots lighter bullets just fine). With the Nosler 150 LRAB, Matrix 165/175 VLDs, and the upcoming Berger 170, the .277 caliber is changing into a O'Connor-Elmer combination. :cool:gun)

My current accuracy load for my .270 AI using the 175 Matrix is chronoed at 2993 FPS and performing similarly with factory 7MM Mag level with 180 factory ammo. Very pleased with my decision and couldn't be any happier.

Good luck and keep us posted. Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Scratch the itch and go for it, it's really that simple ...

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I purchased a Savage 110 LA in .270 Win for the action, but it was quite the shooter so I hunted with it for a couple of seasons. When I finally decided to re-barrel, I was highly considering the .284 and .280/AI. I went with .270 AI (in honor of the legendary Jack O'Connor :D) instead with 1:8" 30" Lilja barrel primarily to propel the Matrix 165/175 VLDs (shoots lighter bullets just fine). With the Nosler 150 LRAB, Matrix 165/175 VLDs, and the upcoming Berger 170, the .277 caliber is changing into a O'Connor-Elmer combination. :cool:gun)

My current accuracy load for my .270 AI using the 175 Matrix is chronoed at 2993 FPS and performing similarly with factory 7MM Mag level with 180 factory ammo. Very pleased with my decision and couldn't be any happier.

Good luck and keep us posted. Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Not to hijack the thread…but I have 270Win 1-9, 28" barrel coming…should be here in a few weeks…

What powder are you using with your 270AI with the 175 Matrix ? How much more powder capacity are you getting with the 270AI ?

Thanks...

Not to hijack the thread…but I have 270Win 1-9, 28" barrel coming…should be here in a few weeks…

What powder are you using with your 270AI with the 175 Matrix ? How much more powder capacity are you getting with the 270AI ?

Thanks...

58g H4831SC, CCI BR2, WW brass, 2.675" CBTO ... anything more the group starts opening up and pressure sign is very evident.

I got about 50 FPS more with 60g IMR7828SSC but did not group as well as the H4831SC

As always, proceed with caution.

I have a 7mm-08 sako a7...i love it ..its amazing for long range...and its also very good for hunting....6.5x284 burns barrel fast. ...im in the same spot...and im thinking to get a 6.5 creedmore ....it mimic the 300 win mag very well minus the downrange energy. ...but its still very good

I was back and forth on .280 and .280AI for six months and finally decided on the straight .280, but with a 26" #3 Bartlein to maybe push the 162 Amax a little closer to the AI. I've owned three 6.5-284s and really like them, but if pushed, barrels don't last too long and most bullets max out at 140 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.