Rechambering to 30 Nosler

Bolt face work can get a little expensive and if there's not enough metal to work with change your choice... Compare the diameters before solidily choosing either.. And always entering into the picture why? What will you gain for all that you gotta do, is it worth it ?? There just can't be that much difference in velocity with the rum for sure and a couple of hundred maybe over the wm...

Boltface is the same for all 3. The Winny is longer@ 2.620 vs 2.556 The Nosler would be a clean up of the winny. The Rum is longer @ 2.850 and 30 degree shoulder vs 35 so after a set back if the chamber was straight and on the minimum side of saami spec it would work.
The winny would be a better choice however if the chamber wasn't cut straight it will be difficult to make that barrel as best as it can be.
There are plenty of barrels on shelves to cut the wait time to just shipping. That would be best route. Unless your just looking for a donor rifle to rebarrel. Then it could be any magnum not based on the Lapua/Rigby/.378 Weatherby .585 boltface.

What are you rechambering from?

Also, unless it's a lightly used custom barrel, I don't really think it's worth the 300+ dollars it'll cost to rechamber it. In my experience, factory barrels aren't really worth it.

Best

If the barrel is a 300WM or 300RUM it can. Ot be rechambered without set back. The WM is a little easier as there is more room for error.

If you are buying a stock rifle to turn into a 30 Nosler several work with out set back but require bolt work.

Why would you want to detune a 300 rum? With custom loads the 30 nosler is not in the same ball park.

Why would you want to detune a 300 rum? With custom loads the 30 nosler is not in the same ball park.

Great response.

But to answer the original question. I think the simplest way is to take a very careful measurement of the RUM case and the Nosler case and trim that much off the barrel of your RUM on the chamber end. Then turn that much shoulder off and you have a .30 Nosler. In other words you have a shortened RUM.

Great response.

But to answer the original question. I think the simplest way is to take a very careful measurement of the RUM case and the Nosler case and trim that much off the barrel of your RUM on the chamber end. Then turn that much shoulder off and you have a .30 Nosler. In other words you have a shortened RUM.

That is all an XX-Nosler is. A shortened RUM

That is all an XX-Nosler is. A shortened RUM

Probably pretty close to the .300 Atlas >>> https://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat-cartridges/6655-300-atlas.html

Maybe shooter72 will chime in ...

Depends on what one I have at the moment. Also depends on your definition of LR.

1000 and under 300WSM
1000-1500 used to be the 300RUM but quickly my new 300Atlas is making up ground
over 1500 338 edge.

Depends also on the gun configuration. over all My new Atlas is really making me a happy man. In a 15lbs gun it's pleasant to shoot and really performing well. I am sure at 1500 or so the 338 will show it up but I don't get to shoot that often enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.