30-06 rechamber?

I was quoted $550 for a barrel, chamber and an install. That is the cheapest I could find in my area. I am really considering buying the tools to do my own installs on my Savage. I can get a Shilen match for $274 on Midway, or purchase a Walther Lothar prechambered and threaded for around $350. That is all I would pay to do it myself.

Tank

liltank,
give KEVIN CRAM ( MOUNTOUR RIFLES) a call. I think he is in your area, and does very good work.

I like the idea of using the -06 cases that I already have and also keeping the same bolt. Is the 6.5-284 based off of the 7mm case? I do not have a Mountain Lion gun and am forced to believe this is why I do not have one on my wall, so it would be a mountain lion gun. I need to fill the gap in my safe between .224 and .277 cals. I hunt in many areas with open terrain that allow for long shots in the desert, but I do not want a dedicated LR rifle, I am looking for a sporting rifle.

The donor gun is an older BDL Mountain with a short sportster barrel. What kind of price range should I expect to pay for a quality barrel installed.

6.5-284 is based off 284 win case and is a great round but you would have to do some bolt work as it has a rebated case,but if I were you and I wanted to change a perfectly good shooting 06 I would do as some of the others have suguested 6.5 has great b.c 6.5-06 or 6,5-06A.I your bolt and magizine is already set up for it so gunsmithing will be minimum.aint daydreaming great!

$650 for a barrel blank and installation? What are you having done to that barrel blank besides getting it chambered, threaded and head space set? Most all barrel manufactures blanks are in the $300 range and I have never paid more than $175.00 to have a barrel installed. I guess I missed something somehwere :)

I was including squaring up the receiver and lapping the lugs etc. Most good gunsmiths will recommend that if you are installing a custom barrel. To not take the time and $$ to do it is pretty risky and can make for an unhappy customer. I would agree that the cost would be lower to just put the barrel on and headspace.......Rich

I was including squaring up the receiver and lapping the lugs etc. Most good gunsmiths will recommend that if you are installing a custom barrel. To not take the time and $$ to do it is pretty risky and can make for an unhappy customer. I would agree that the cost would be lower to just put the barrel on and headspace.......Rich

OK that makes way more sense then :)

The 6.5-06 AI will perform at par with the 264 WIN, and be easier to do on his existing setup.
Also, the 264 Win I have been told is very load finnicky, the 6.5-06AI is not, and will give you alittle better barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.